First High Risk order - what should I do?

Tourist
15 0 0
Hi, I just received my first high risk order. I opened my store a few months ago and have only made 4 sales prior to this. I do not have experience yet on what to do in the case of a High Risk order.

This is the information the Shopify console gave me: "High risk of fraud detected. Before fulfilling this order or capturing payment, please review the fraud analysis and determine if this order is fraudulent." I clicked on the View Fraud Analysis button and got a list of bullet points. Most of the points were blue, a couple were grey and one was red:

RED:
* Characteristics of this order are similar to fraudulent orders observed in the past
GREY:
* Billing address or credit card's address wasn't available
* Billing address ZIP or postal code isn't available to match with credit card's registered address

The other points were all blue, which seems to mean they were not issues of concern?

The order is for a pet bowl. I had a sale for buy 3, get 20% off. This person bought 3 and the order total came to $75. The order was made from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Obviously, I badly want to process this order. I've been running my store and FB ads for months and this is only the 4th order I've had. Also, that would be crazy if someone stole a credit card in order to buy 3 dog bowls! At the same time, I certainly don't want to process an order made on a stolen credit card!

I am hoping someone experienced with processing orders can give me advice on what to do!
Thank you for taking the time and energy to read my question.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
756 74 148

Hey there, @brightlife 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

Great Question. While we would never directly advise a merchant on whether to fulfill an order or not, we can absolutely provide you with some more info and tools here so you can make your own choices with as much certainty as possible.

I just wanted to take the time to explain what is meant by "Characteristics of this order are similar to fraudulent orders observed in the past". Shopify’s risk algorithms take into account all orders placed on Shopify. These machine learning algorithms look at characteristics beyond the indicators shown on the order so merchants can take advantage of the large pool of orders that have been placed platform-wide. We do not have details of these characteristics. We do, however, see most of these orders result in chargebacks. Please read up on chargebacks here. 

One thing you can do for sure is install our own, free, Fraud Filter app to expand on the existing risk analysis tools in your admin. Further to that, we have some good general fraud prevention tips you can check out to give yourself further context of whether to fulfill or not. If this becomes a common occurrence for you, you might also want to consider the Signifyd app for chargeback prevention (there are charges associated with using this app).

Let me know how this goes and if there is anything else I can assist you with, I'm happy to help!

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Excursionist
20 2 3

Hi @brightlife, just to add two points to what Bo has said to increase the security of your store:

a) Ensure that customers enter their ZIP code and their CCV properly. This can usually be done in the settings panel of your payment provider

b) I highly recommend installing "FraudBlock", which automatically cancels "high risk" orders so you don't have to worry about fulfilling them: https://apps.shopify.com/fraudblock-fraud-prevention

0 Likes