Flat rate ship, local pickup, free local delivery

Tourist
6 0 8

We are a not for profit providing flags for those who donate to our foundations benefitting veterans and their families. I need my "buyers" to be prompted to choose one of my three delivery options..... Flat rate shipping, free local pickup, free local delivery. And I need to be able to do it without monthly fees if possible. 

I know I need a local shipping zone for the free local delivery yet there seems to be no way to set a truly local shipping zone, only a state. 

Even if I can get that problem solved, how do I give them the choice of free pickup or delivery if they fall within the local zone?

Appreciate any help which may be provided. 

2 Likes
Tourist
6 0 8

<Post deleted and photo attached to original post>

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
112 0 21

Hi, Lynn!

I’m Shay, a Guru here at Shopify. Happy to problem solve with you :). 

You are right that Shopify shipping zones can currently specify down to the state level, not further. The best solution for you is the Store Pickup + Delivery app (https://apps.shopify.com/click-and-collect) as it allows for setting location zones based on driving distance, radius or postal code, it's much more specific than the state level option. It will also help you schedule your deliveries and pickups as well as offers a whole host of features. 

As an alternative, you could set up a workaround option. You can create a shipping rate via settings>shipping that will show to the whole state, but name it something like Pickup- Greater Louisiana Area Only and another called Delivery - Greater Louisiana Area Only. Technically, anyone from the state would be able to select the option at checkout but you could write up a little FAQ/Shipping Information page to display on your site that advises the pickup and delivery areas so that customers know ahead of time that these rates are for those areas only. You can even link to that page on your cart page or include that text on the cart page as an easy reminder before checkout. 

Just those two steps alone will weed out most who may choose the option without being eligible for it, but you can always contact back anyone who does choose it and shouldn't have and use our handy order creation feature to invoice them for shipping and let them know delivery/pickup won't be an option based on their location. Not exactly ideal, I know, but it will do the trick :). 

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions at all don't hesitate to reach out to the Guru team! We’re here, 24/7 via live chat, phone and email. https://docs.shopify.com/support. ;

Shay
Guru | Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Is this hack/workaround still available? The option of a FREE LOCAL PICKUP should be included in the Shopify plan for free. Regardless, is it still possible to implement it by following the steps above? I can't get it to work, because California cannot be added to multiple custom shipping zones - it can ONLY be in the FREE LOCAL PICKUP, or in the other shipping method for money.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks.

1 Like
1 0 1

+1 Alexander's post above

1 Like