Fraud

Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 2

Hi, I am a new seller and my very first customer made a large order, I talked to some people at shopify and they told me to get in contact with her, so I did, I was told by her that she was buying a gift. She bought 5 units of medical supplies from me and sent it to a different place then her shipping address, the address was to a different business (logistics center), she bought 6 more units today and sent it to the same place.

I had in both cases shopifies high risk of fraud alert. She used 2 different phones, 2 different emails, 2 different credit cards, and a different IP address but when comparing the old and new IP address they both led to the same place. She didn't receive the old ones because of corona virus, her billing address doesn't match the registered credit card addresses (in both cases), However the IP country does match the country she is shipping to.

Should I be worried, or what should I do in this situation? I already shipped out the 5 products she ordered using Canada post, but this new order has made me more suspicious.

I won't share personal information of the customer, but I can blur out the IP address, email, name, location, and share with you about shopifies fraud analysis warning if it is needed

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
537 62 129

Hey, @ad_main_deal 

Managing orders when it comes to potential fraud can be tricky and there is no clear-cut right or wrong answer. At the end of the day, you as the business owner have the discretion on who you want to do business with. You are responsible for any potential negative outcomes that may come from fulfilling orders. Let's look at it this way, worst-case scenario is that this is in fact a fraudulent order, and the person placing these orders are using compromised/stolen credit cards. What would happen in this case is a chargeback would occur where you would more likely than not have the funds returned back to the cardholder and would be out money on the cost of the products that you shipped out to the scammer. Your risk threshold should depend on whether or not you can afford to take the hit in that worst-case scenario.

With that said, it's still entirely possible that this customer is legit and you have a potential long-term buyer relationship you can foster here. I would suggest reaching out to the customer to ask some questions that would make you comfortable enough with continuing to fulfill their orders. For example, if this is one of your first orders, confirm how they found out about your store and cross-reference that. For example, if they are saying they found you through a Facebook ad or a listing on a website that you have no knowledge of doing yourself, that could raise a red flag. Secondly, you could also ask them for ID in order to match their billing info with the ID.

I hope this helps! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 2

could I private message you dirk, since you work at shopify, I am now worried that I may have done something wrong, I checked her IP address on IP checker and it showed it was real, the 2 different phone numbers were landlines which checked out on a different website, and her emails despite putting 2 different emails also checked out. I have been stressed on this one, I have a very small budget and I don't think I can take a hit like that on my business, and would like some professional advice. I am not sure the websites, because I had someone at fiverr do my seo which made me have 400 people coming to my site every day, which is great. but I am now thinking maybe he did something bad or wrong, I found it weird that he used a lot of forums for the SEO but I wasn't sure how SEO's work.

In short can I private message you?

0 Likes