Fraudulent order

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Hi everyone,

I`m new to this, and I would like to have your advice before I proceed with the fraudulent order.

Firstly, someone from Mexico tried to buy something for 31.00, but the card which he used, was declared as lost. Then, he again tried to pay, but with his real card, so his name is matching the card`s holder name. I want to mention that the first attempt was with Shop Pay, and then because the gateway declined the payment, he used his own Mastercard with Shop Pay.

My question would be, is this okay to fulfill the order? Also, the card which he used ( lost card but payment declined ), is there a chance that the money is taken?

Many thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted

make sure you got the amount he paid on your payment provider account or on your bank account before fulfilling the order

Shopify Agency for International Brands
Email: support@theleadermedia.com
WhatsApp: +917012490592
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
? Talk to our Shopify expert
? Best Shopify themes for November 2020
? Best Shopify Apps for November 2020
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
134 5 19

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @NorbertDev 

Nobody can really tell you whether or not if it's ok to fulfill the order due to the limited information we have on the order. Your best course of action is to think of what happens if you receive a chargeback. Will it be a big hit to your revenue? If so, it's best to cancel it. There is also the possibility that the bad-actor is testing different credit card numbers to see which ones work. If so, it's recommended to cancel this order if the original owner reported it as lost or stolen. 

I've done some research into Shop Pay before and they don't look like they have a chargeback policy so, if you receive a chargeback, you will lose your money. For your information, a customer has about 6 months' time to file a chargeback. 

I hope this helps you a bit. 

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks and expand globally with Beacon. https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Thank you for the explanation. Yes, definitely it cleared some questions in my mind

Norbert

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

I got the payment into my Shopify payment gateway. Thanks for the help guys!  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

@Jason_Beacon Hi :), I still have a question... I just canceled the order, but apparently, the guy insists, now he ordered something else, for $40... 

I`ve noticed that this time he used a different email address, and obviously, I cannot keep doing refunds because I lose money as well...
What should do?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
134 5 19

Hi @NorbertDev ,

If he used a different email address and he made another purchase, this sounds like fraud behavior. If you really think you want to fulfill the order, then you should contact the customer by phone and ask to request and confirm their Photo ID by email to compare the shipping address with. But keep in mind that chargeback can still happen. Bad-actors will always try to find a way to steal.

You should also really think about investing in a fraud detection app to help you automate things and get more fraud-related data points about the customer if you find your self in this situation quite often.

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks and expand globally with Beacon. https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

So we are so many retailers that had the same problem with shopify regarding fraudulent orders. Can this be Shopify's propaganda to make their clients pay more to upgrade? Besides from monthly and transaction fees that non refundable? I'm am suspicious cause all of my orders seems like fraudaulent customers and shopify doesn't do anything about it. Is there anyone here that installed Kit App? I have texts from them that this orders came from this app. Shopify is responsible for this. 

0 Likes