Fraudulent order

Highlighted
1 0 0

I have just set up my store and have had some orders, legitimate and clearly dodgy (i have cancelled the clearly dodgy ones)

but i hvae had two in the last couple of days where they are alerted by shopify as high risk although they have passed all the checks except for... "Characteristics of this order are similar to fraudulent orders observed in the past"

please see screenshot. 

Capture.PNG

Can anyone help me, should i process this order? What sort of proof can i ask from the customer etc? 

Thanks

Tom

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
908 86 173

Hey, @TomFoster1234!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

I definitely understand high-risk orders can be a bit confusing but Shopify's risk analysis algorithms look at a combination of an order's characteristics, as well as customer history. The algorithms determine whether the order's characteristics match patterns identified from the millions of past legitimate or fraudulent orders seen across Shopify's platform.

The decision is of course ultimately up to whether you fulfil the order or not. Do you feel comfortable fulfilling the order? You can reach out to the customer to verify some order details if you would like. You could ask them to verify their phone number, last four digits of the credit card or their billing address. Speaking to the customer directly I find can help you in determining whether to fulfil the order as it establishes some level of trust but again it is totally up to you.

This fraud prevention guide also has some excellent tips on dealing with fraudulent orders if you want to have a read of it. 

I would always recommend downloading the Fraud Filter app which provides an additional layer of security on your store. You can also block certain customers from placing orders if you wish with that app so it is very helpful if you are noticing a lot of fraudulent orders lately. 

At the end of the day if you don't feel comfortable fulfilling the order then don't. High-risk orders can result in chargebacks which can cost you money in the long run (read more about chargebacks here). I hope that helps but if you have any other questions, please let me know, I am always happy to help!

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
13 1 4

Hi Tom, 

Faye with ClearSale here -

Did you end up accepting those orders or declining them?  I’m interested to hear how that turned out. 

We’re a bit late to the party but wanted to chime in, offer some advice and echo Lulu’s response. Asking for those items and getting the customer on the phone is a huge part in screening questionable orders.  There are a ton of factors to consider in order to make a confident decision, but those are great to start with!

Adding additional fraud screening is always a great idea!  But at the end of the day, these automated (black box) tools leave you questioning the validity of order or leave you in a situation where you ultimately need to make the decision.

Not every merchant has the time or resources to do this.

ClearSale is a fully outsourced fraud solution - meaning, we take care of everything from auto decisioning to manual reviews and even covering chargebacks if we’ve mistakenly accepted a fraudulent order.  You can leave the stress to us.

If you want to chat about fraud, our team is always available!  Drop us a line at shpy@clear.sale

Faye
Director of Partnerships
clear.sale
0 Likes