Fraudulent orders, Hight Risk

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello,  I am receiving a flag on my orders where it says:

" characteristics of this order are similar to fraudulent orders observed in the past orders. "

Could you advice what it's could be ? Is It a fraud orders or no ? Because that only flag I get on some of customers orders

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
663 53 119

Hello, there! 

Karlie from the Shopify Guru team here! I’m here to lend a helping hand. When you see the message "characteristics of this order are similar to fraudulent orders observed in the past orders" - it means that the order is showing signs of an order in the past that was marked as fraudulent. An example would be if the same customer had a previous order that was flagged as a risk, it could be that they had a fraudulent order with incorrect billing address or a discrepency with their IP address. To check the fraud analysis of this order, you would want to go to your Shopify Admin> Orders> Find customer order and then on the right side, you'll see a box called Fraud Anaylsis, you'll want to click on the blue text that reads, "View full analysis."
If you'd like some more information on fraud analysis, be sure to check out our helpful doc here!

Have a great day! 
If you need help again in the future, don't hesitate to call, email or open up a chat.

*Karlie* | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
3 0 0

thanks, Karlie.

checked and its says : Characteristics of this order are similar to fraudulent orders observed in the past
which is red flaged and rest of it is ok.And I receive daily 2-3 orders like this with a same red flag. Is there any more explanation for it ?

What you can do
Contact the customer to verify their identity and the purchase before you fulfill the order. Learn more about our improved Fraud Analysis, or how you can prevent fraud.
Todd *****
Email
Indicators
Characteristics of this order are similar to fraudulent orders observed in the past
Card Verification Value (CVV) is correct
Billing street address matches credit card's registered address
Billing address ZIP or postal code matches the credit card's registered address
There was 1 payment attempt
Payment was made with 1 credit card
Location of IP address used to place the order is Los Angeles, California, United States
Shipping address is 16 km from location of IP address
Billing country matches the country from which the order was placed
The IP address used to place the order isn't a high risk internet connection (web proxy)
Additional Information
This order was placed from IP address: 5.62.***.***

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Sorry , can you answer my questions? Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
14 0 1

How did the order go because Im obersving the same problem

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I am looking at the same problem for one of our customers. There is an order now that only shows "Characteristics of this order are similar to fraudulent orders observed in the past", while all other points seem to be ok. Looking at the analysis it tells: "Contact the customer to verify their identity and the purchase before you fulfill the order."

In our case the customer used a P.O. Box to ship the order to. I think this is why the system alerted, since it is not a physical address. However, when I look further I can see that the billing info of the credit card that was used equals the billing info that they gave us. The IP address was also located in the same place as the billing address. Also there was only one payment attempt. I think it is really only because of the P.O. Box, I can't see any other reason why it would alert under these circumstances. Best thing to do is to follow the advise and contact the customer to verify the order and the address. But I wouldn't tell him/her that the order was flagged. After all, you don't want to lose a customer if they turn out to be legitimate after all...

Regards,
RobinP
0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
38 4 15

We got 3 of this within a month.  (All from Texas) We highly recommend calling the customer and make sure its a clear call.

Ask them for information as the full name on the order, the billing address and shipping address. Never ask "Is this Full name" just ask for them for their first name and go from there. Make sure the call is clear, these guys call from a terrible connection that you can't hear them at all.

Contacting via the email provided they will provide the full info and a few days later you will get a charge back for it...

Alternatively, you can create a shipping label and wait 2 weeks for it and see if they charge back. Some of these guys wait for the label to be created or for the label to show that the shipping provided picked it up. Most of the time the card is stolen and this gives the card holder time to notice the charge.

Due to how many we where getting and those 3 was our last straw, we just decided to flat out cancel/refund these orders. Dealing with a charge back and possibly losing a product isn't something we like.

Also the other option is to google the address and see where it lands on the map. Most times they are using abandoned house addresses.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi Ramona,

Your advise always seems wise to do when you have several 'triggers' in the Fraud Analysis, but are we talking about the same thing here? This topic is about order that are marked as a high risk, but only have one indicator. I mean that it looks like this:

fraude.jpg

From what you are telling it seems like your orders have more than one indicator, or am I wrong?

Regards,

RobinP

Regards,
RobinP
0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
38 4 15

The order was displayed as flagged by Shopify for fraudulent, when checking why it displayed the same way. 

Everything looked fine and we emailed the customer and got a response so we shipped out the product. Next thing we know we got a chargeback for it. We had to call the shipping provided to cancel the delivery and return the product to us. Otherwise we would be out of a $500+ item.

My boss wanted to just ship it out since as you have pictured it looks fine, other than the characteristic part.

Edit: one of ours displayed below

image .png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
17 2 7

Does shopify charge the sellers any fees for cancelling & refunding the order?

0 Likes