Free Shipping only on certain products

Highlighted
Tourist
32 0 2

I have free shipping for all orders over $55.  I'm now working with a drop shipper who will charge for shipping.  I don't want to add the shipping fee to the product cost.  There doesn't seem to be a way to have the free shipping apply only to certain products or collections, or is there?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Leslie

cooleastmarket.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
716 24 239

Hey Leslie,

Aria here, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify. ?

I would strongly advise against this. I think it will be super confusing for your customers if certain items in your store have free shipping when they spend $55 and others do not. What if they want to mix items from the free shipping range and the non-free shipping category? Their $55 spend could be a mixture of the two and it will frustrate them when they realize they can't mix them. My advice would be to include the shipping in the item price (for your dropshipping items). I realize you said this is not what you want to do. 

If you're sure you want to have free shipping on some items and not others, there are a few workarounds. You can use a discount code. This allows you to offer free shipping on certain collections and not others. You can't combine discount codes though so this would mean you can't have a percentage off or a dollar amount off in the same sale. 

You can also consider using an app such as Bespoke Shipping or Better Shipping. They both allow you to do per item shipping prices. This would be the best option to achieve what you're looking for but it's not the most cost-effective option. Both of these apps would require Carrier Calculated shipping to work. There are 3 ways to add Carrier Calculated Shipping. You can either upgrade to the Advanced Shopify plan which is $299 per month, add it to your existing plan for an additional $20 per month or you can pay annually rather than monthly. This will give you 10% discount on your plan and you’ll get FREE Carrier Calculated Shipping. 

The third option would be to do weight-based shipping prices. You don't have to use the real weight of the item, you can use fake weights to manipulate the prices you want to charge. Instead of doing free shipping over $55, you could do free shipping over a certain weight and make sure your items that are not eligible for free shipping do not have weights so they will always be charged for shipping. In this case, the customer would still end up with free shipping if enough of the other products got added to cart.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions. 

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
32 0 2

Hi,

Thanks for your well-thought out reply.  Yes, I can see it would be frustrating for customers to have free shipping on some things and not others.  Also, as you point out, what happens when items are combined?  I'm going to think about this.  Adding at least a portion of the shipping to the product cost might be the best option.

Thanks,

Leslie

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1051 61 124

Hi there!

Don here from Shopify!

I just wanted to add another suggestion based on Aria's response here.

You can set up per-product shipping rates by using the Parcelify app in your store.

This is much like the shipping apps suggested above, though this app is itself free to use (bar the cost of needing to add carrier calculated rates as outlined above) so it might make using this option more affordable for you.

If you have any app-specific questions you can reach out to any app's developers using the email address or contact form listed on the app store page.

If you'd like to get the carrier rates add-on added to your plan you can reach out to us via our support site and we can help out from there.

All the best!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

Hello Leslie,

The advanced shipping manager can offer a solution for accurately calculating shipping and item level free shipping of your products.

No more worrying how to quote shipping rates in your store!  Now you can account for product level settings, such as:

- Shipping from multiple dropshippers (multiple origins), and even cover for dropshipping fees

- Dimensional weight products and products that ship alone

- Flat-rate or free shipping promotions for specific products

- Block certain shipping methods for specific products

- Real-Time rates from common US couriers - for domestic and international shipping methods

- Real-Time rates from many freight couriers!

To read reviews from some of our Shopify customers and download the app, please click on: https://apps.shopify.com/advanced-shipping-manager-for-shopify

Let me know if you would like to discuss in further detail.

Burt,

Your Shipping Guru

Ebrowsershop@gmail.com

Customer Success Manager - Shipping Guru
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Aria,

you mentioned “You can use a discount code. This allows you to offer free shipping on certain collections and not others.”

i have been asking for free shipping for products x,y,z or free shipping with collection x for a while now.   is it something new, i still do not see it

walt

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 2

I too have been looking for this and cant seem to get my discount codes to let me do it. I am using it fro promotional items...

2 Likes
Highlighted

Agreed with @flutesonline_co — I see no way to limit free shipping discount codes to specific products or collections. The Shopify staff member who replied above was obviously incorrect. 

For certain items/collections, I use a print-on-demand service with separate shipping rates in a Shipping Profile for the POD service. Customers pay a separate shipping charge for those items. 

I'd like to be able to offer free shipping for items that ship from my studio, or from the POD service, independently, instead of having no option but to offer free shipping on both product types. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

I AGREE!! You should be able to offer free shipping on certain products or collections as an incentive or promotion. Let's see about fixing this Shopify.

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

I NEED THIS ASAP! I want my to charge shipping on orders under $50 but I want to give free shipping on subscription-based products!

1 Like