Free shipping discount not working properly

Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 1

Until today, I've had customer purchase items over $50 and the free shipping would be applied. There was an order today that was over $100 and it did not get applied automatically.

Another scenario I had recently is that it let a customer get the free shipping and use a discount code. I thought these weren't allowed to be stacked.

I don't see anything odd in the discount setup, and nothing has changed recently.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
153 22 31

Hi, @Karl_Jackson !

Thanks for reaching out to us about this. Would you mind showing me what your current shipping settings are? Also, if you wouldn't mind passing along a link to the website I'd be happy to try and recreate this as well as troubleshoot this further with you!

All the best.

Oliver | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 1

Hey Oliver,

I included a shot of the discount that was used and of the free shipping setup.

Here is the link https://black-beard-brigade.myshopify.com/

Annotation 2020-04-13 203847.jpgAnnotation 2020-04-13 204137.jpg

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
153 22 31

Hi @Karl_Jackson !

Thanks for the screenshot, that's incredibly helpful. First, I wanted to clarify that a free shipping rate and a discount can be used in the same order. You'd run into problems trying to stack a free shipping discount code with another percentage or price based code. Can you check and see if the automatic discount for 15% is currently enabled? I've attempted to re-create this and I'm getting the free shipping rate but no discount. In order to check, follow the steps below:

* Click Discounts in your Shopify admin

* Switch to the Automatic Discounts tab

* Open the discount in question

* Scroll to the bottom of the page and confirm the Activity Dates

Hope to hear from you soon!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 1

No, the 15% is under the regular discount code portion. I thought that the Free Shipping acted as the automatic based on that setup from the screenshot. There is nothing currently active for the Auto discounts.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
153 22 31

@Karl_Jackson 

That's right, the Free Shipping option will be prompted automatically but that's because that is the only shipping rate available at the price point. For this set up, there is no discount added until your customer submits their discount code. So an automatic discount can still be applied in coordination with a free shipping rate. Was the discount code not working when being submitted at checkout? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 1
The recent customer was able to apply the discount code and receive the
shipping, but that was a first. Didn't know this setup allowed that.

The other issue is that a customer purchased over $100 but the free
shipping didn't kick in.
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

I'm having this exact problem as well. The free shipping discount added on the shipping rates page doesn't kick in. The customer has to manually select it from the menu, but it doesn't show up unless they click "change shipping method." On the checkout screen, the customer only sees the paid shipping options. The free one isn't visible. Is there not a way to have the free shipping kick in automatically without the customer having to use a discount code? The automatic discount for free shipping is not eligible. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
153 22 31

@Karl_Jackson 

This could be a few things. The first thing that comes to mind is the location of the customer. Do they have a Domestic address added when they go through checkout? If you have international shipping set up that doesn't have Free Shipping, this would be what's happening there. Another option here is that the free shipping rate was actually served and the customer simply selected one of the other shipping methods. I'd recommend recreating the order details in the checkout and seeing what you're served.

Warm regards!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 1
They were U.S residents
0 Likes