Free shipping field shouldn't automatically go first

Highlighted
5 0 0

Just been shocked to discover that there NO way to set the order of the fields for shipping as you want in the Settings.

Apparently Shopify's "strategy" is to show free shipping as the first shipping option field automatically.

Unfortunately the pull-down menu is not obvious and so unless you're looking or don't live in my home city which is 80% of my business, people are getting free shipping.

Anyone faced this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
369 29 56

Hi, @myeventdecor!

Sophia here from Shopify. I'm happy to provide some clarity on how shipping settings and rates work within Shopify as well as provide some potential solutions for you here.

It sounds like you're referring to the online checkout from a mobile perspective and that you're looking to offer free shipping only to those in your local area. Is that correct? On mobile, I see how customers might overlook the shipping rates even if you've named your free rate something really clear like, "Free shipping for [CITY NAME] ONLY". On the desktop version, there will be a full list of rates as opposed to a pull-down menu, so customers should see all rates at once. Regardless of the device, Shopify will automatically show your shipping rates in the online store checkout in order from lowest to highest cost.

To work around this, you can set up your region as a separate shipping zone if you're offering free shipping to your state or province. This way, you can add a free shipping rate to the zone covering your region, and remove the free shipping rate from the zone that covers the rest of the country. If you need to offer free shipping to a more specific area like just your city or even just your zip/postal code, you can use one of the apps for advanced shipping rules. Apps like Parcelify and Advanced Shipping Rules allow you to set rates based on specific areas so free shipping will only show up to customers in the area you determine.

Shopify recently introduced shipping profiles, which is a new feature that allows you to set specific rates per product as well as by location. This feature is currently in beta, so keep an eye out for updates as it will eventually be rolled out to all stores.

Please let me know if you have any questions! I'd be happy to chat further with you about this and I can even submit specific feature requests to the appropriate teams here on your behalf.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes