Free shipping in a geographic area

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 5

Hey Folks, I am looking for a solution to offering free shipping in a geographical area. I have tried several ways that I found here in the forum. The problem I run into, by either offering a "free shipping" discount code, or by working within a shipping zone, and making that shiiping free, is that the shipping charge will be zero, but the customer could still choose any of the options for shipping, including Next day Air which is nearly twice what my book costs.

Any input would be appreciated.

Bill

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3078 232 506

Hi Bill, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

I tested this out in all the different ways I could find natively to find a workaround and you are correct. The best workaround for this would be a shipping app. The one that springs to my mind is Better Shipping which lets you set specific rates for delivery areas based on postal or zip codes. 

Cheers, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 5

Thanks for the response Nick!

I did not see that app before, but I think for now my work-around will be to offer a free shipping discount for domestic deliveries and create a discount code for that. customers can type that in or choose a different shipping option. Might cause a lttle confusion, but I'll see how it works. 

I'm trying to keep the costs down, I just realized the sales tax nightmare and may use TaxJar for that, that will be additional, but worth eliminating that hassle.

Not being cheap, but the book I am selling is this: http://theaidsactivistproject.org/ 

From some of the sales, I'd like to be able to donate some proceeds from the book to some AIDS organizatiuons, so I want to keep the cot down as much as I reasonably.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

Have A Nice Day

-Bill

1 Like
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3078 232 506

Completely understand wanting to keep costs down Bill. 

Fingers crossed the free shipping discount for domestic deliveries works out for you for that, but worst case scenario, the app is still there as an option. 

Wishing you the best. Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 5

Thank you Nick. I did come up with a solution that works for my circumstance.

I created another Shipping Zone, used a weight based requirement, and was then able to limit that to the USA only and it seems to be working well for my situation.

As you said.....*fingers crossed*

Thanks again

Bill

0 Likes