Fulfill a partially refunded sale

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi, i have some orders which are partially refunded but I cannot seem to fulfil these orders so that they do not appear in the Unfulfilled and partially fulfilled list. Is there a way to remove them from this list as they are fulfilled or to mark them as fulfilled?

Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
369 29 56

Hi, @karamba3d!

Sophia here from Shopify.

I've moved your thread from Shopify Discussion over to Payments, Shipping & Fulfillment, which should help you get replies from experts in this area if they have any suggestions to add here.

If the order is marked as fulfilled first, restocking and refunding the items will not change the order status - it will remain marked as ‘Fulfilled’. It sounds like what may have happened with these orders is that they were refunded and the items were restocked as well in which case it wouldn’t be possible to fulfill them. For future orders, you can refund the customer without restocking the items if the product hasn’t been returned, and then you should still see the “Mark as fulfilled” option on the order’s line items. If you’re refunding without restocking, you can skip step 4 in the steps to refund an order. Here’s an example to show you what that looks like:

05-28-j06q8-h6bqc

To better organize these orders and keep them separate from the ones that still require fulfillment action, you can archive the order and leave a note on it too, if you’d like. Archiving the order will remove it from the list of open orders, so you won’t have to sort through which ones you’ve already touched and which ones still need to be dealt with.

If you’d like me to take a closer look at these specific orders, let me know and I’d be happy to send you an email so we can investigate further.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi Sophia,

thanks for your message. So I assume if an order has been marked as fulfilled or refunded whilst unfulfilled, I cannot edit the order anymore?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
369 29 56

Hi there,

You will still be able to change the fulfillment status if:

• an order is marked as ‘Fulfilled’ and still needs to be refunded and cancelled
  • an order is marked as ‘Unfulfilled’ but requires a refund and fulfillment

The only case in which you won’t be able to mark orders as ‘Fulfilled’ is if an order has been refunded and the items have been restocked whilst marked as ‘Unfulfilled’. Regardless of the fulfillment status, you’ll always be able to edit an order as far as editing customer information, adding or removing notes, and adding or removing tags goes.

Let me know if there are any specific orders you’d like me to take a look at and I can send you an email to investigate further :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi Sophia,

thank you for the reply. At this stage I have only orders which are refunded and restocked so I am unable to fulfil them. But for future reference I will take this in mind.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 5

Here are two scenarios:

1. customer orders multiple items, changes his mind about one item, asks for it to be canceled and refunded. We cancel and refund said item and fulfill the rest.
  2. customer orders multiple items but one is actually out of stock. We cancel and refund said item and fulfill the rest.

In both scenarios Shopify will automatically mark the order as "Partially Fulfilled". Please note that all valid items were fulfilled, except for the one item that was canceled. As far as I can tell, there's just no way to change the fulfillment status of these orders to "Fulfilled". Is that really so? And why???

I use Stamped App to send post purchase review emails and have just found out that only orders marked as "Fulfilled" will trigger the emails. In other words, orders that match any of the two scenarios described above will never receive the review requests because we can't manually change the order status to "Fulfilled".

This is very annoying and doesn't really make sense. How can we make Shopify add the setting of manually overriding the order status?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
369 29 56

Hi, @Joao_Pedro_dos_!

Sophia here from Shopify.

Just to confirm, is it the Stamped.io Reviews & UGCs app that you're using? I took a look at their support documents and while I didn't find anything that speaks to the various fulfillment statuses, it appears you can send the review request after the order is placed instead of after it's fulfilled. I recommend contacting the app developer directly to ask if they have any other suggestions for handling orders that aren't marked as Fulfilled.

In the meantime, I'd be happy to pass your feedback along to the appropriate teams here regarding being able to manually edit the order status. Please let me know if you have any other questions about fulfilling orders.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4

Sophia, from what I can tell from the forums, the fulfillment status of partially refunded, test, or cancelled orders has been an unresolved problem for years. We have a long list of orders hanging out as "unfulfilled" when there is no further action to take. This creates constant manual work when utilizing an app like shipstation, and causes a lot of confusion with our fulfillment team. This is a major flaw that's causing a lot of frustration. Is there any plan to address it? Thank you.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 5
It can't be that hard to fix it. Come on Shopify!
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
369 29 56

Hi, @ferrymorse and @Joao_Pedro_dos_

Thank you for expressing concern about the fulfillment statuses in the admin. I've submitted detailed feedback about this feature request to the appropriate teams here, and while I cannot disclose when and if an update to this area of the admin would be taking place, you can keep an eye on You can keep an eye on our announcements page for updates.

Have you spoken with ShipStation to discuss whether they have any advice on how to handle fulfillment statuses for orders, @ferrymorse? If not, you can contact the app developer either directly through the information on their Shopify App Store page or through your admin under Apps > Get support. I'd be interested to know if they have any workarounds within their app for the time being to save your team some time.

0 Likes