Fulfill an item mistakenly not shipped?

Highlighted

I recently fulfilled an order, but forgot to pack one item. I need to ship a replacement to the customer. 

How do I handle the situation for the replacement order, since it will appear as another of the item being sold, but in reality the original item never shipped. I am unable to edit the original order as it tells me fulfilled items can't be edited. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 58 116

Hey, @George_C!

I'm Lizzy, one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify.

Am I right in understanding that you'd like to print a shipping label for the product to get it sent out to your customer? If so, you can do this with a draft order!

You can check out the section of our help docs on draft orders here!

You can create a draft order for this product and add the customer so that the address is correct. Discount the order by 100% and mark it as paid. This will create a standard order under 'Orders', where you can purchase a shipping label.

Discounting the order ensures that your reporting doesn't show a positive sale for the day, thereby keeping your financial records correct.

To make sure your inventory is right you can either manually adjust the quantity within the product. Or you can restock the product from the order after shipping it. 

Keep in mind, many of these actions will give you the option to send an email to your customer. If you'd prefer not to notify them you can uncheck the boxes that appear and opt to not send the notification.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions at all about what I've explained here!

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks @Lizzy . Yeah what you suggested is what I already did. I feel like manually restocking and not being able to note as such on the order itself seems a bit like a hack. Could lead to confusion down the road. 

Your hyperlink regarding restocking the item actually points to the Help docs on refunding items. I don't want to refund, the customer wanted their item. 

What I really want to be the solution is to be able to un-fulfill an item, so I can then get that multiple-fulfillment method in the same order as you can get when you reduce the fulfilled quantities of the line items. 

That would allow me to purchase a second shipping label for the same order, and ship the overlooked item. 

That way, it's all in one place and easier to keep track of down the road. And keeps quantities in line without manual fuss. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 58 116

Hey @George_C!

I apologize for not explaining the link I had attached. The second order would have a total of $0, so following the refund steps would restock the product without refunding your customer. You can also adjust the refund total to be $0 during a refund on an order with a total, so that you are restocking your product without refunding.

I also wanted to thank you for your feedback! In this case as the shipping label was originally created for all of the products, it is tied to all of them and it isn't possible to purchase another label on the order without voiding the first. The only options would be to create the draft order or take the item directly to the post office. However, I can completely understand how having the option to adjust this would be helpful in cases such as these were an item may have been missed. I am going to pass this on to our development team for you so that they are aware business owners using Shopify would like this functionality! 

Thank you again for sharing this with me!

Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Lizzy aha, thank you for the clarification. I did not realize you could do the $0.00 "refund" to restock an item. And I also wasn't thinking about restocking the 100%-discounted replacement item. 

I suppose either of those are valid workarounds, thank you for the info. 

0 Likes