General Execution of Shipping with a Provider

1 0 0

Hello;

New to Shopify here.

We are a central vac/vacuum store in Ont. Can.

We have suppliers for our products that we order from in Ont and Que. for our physical store.

We have been working on putting our store items online with Shopify and are almost ready to go!

Some questions about what is typical or better, best practices with regard to who handles shipping payments, processing etc.

Much of this could probably be answered by our supplier but I wanted to see what you guys say as well.

Our supplier will be shipping the product directly to the customer when an order is made thru the online store.

We will get the email from the customer, not our supplier. We then send that info to our supplier.

This seems to be the general way to go about it so far. Yes?

So, as far as shipping goes, we will be using regular Canada Post exp mail far as I know.

The way our supplier seems to want to go is for us to send them a ship label.

But generating a ship label inside Shopify seems to imply that We are handling ship cost etc because it needs weights, dimensions etc.  We don't know weights, dim, until its boxed up weighed etc....which will be done by our supplier.

Can we just generate a ship label without product weight info and send that with customer info to our supplier who will be the ones shipping it?  Make sense? Hope its not over complicating it.

Thanks - Travis

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
467 38 82

Hey there, @TopNotchVacs 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

That is a really great question. Canada Post generates their label cost based solely on the weight of the package - there would be no way for you to purchase a label without this information. The best workaround for this would be to create a staff account for your fulfillment service and give them access to the orders. This way, they can input the weight of the order and print off the label from the admin, the shipping label will then be charged to your account by Shopify. You can read up more on creating a staff account and limiting the access of the said account here. 

Let me know how this goes and if there is anything else I can assist you with, I'm happy to help!

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes