Gift Card Code in Draft Order / Backend Order

2 0 0

Couldn't find this question via search:

When creating an order from the admin backend, is it possible to use a gift card for payment?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
236 27 40

Hey, @david_adam!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out

At the moment it is not possible to use a gift card as a payment method when creating orders manually through the admin. The only workaround that I can think of as an alternative, is when creating an order in drafts and marking it as paid, include a note in the order that this was "paid" with a gift card, and then you can always disable the gift card in the admin if the funds are fully used. You also have the option of creating the order the same way a customer would through the checkout, including their information and using the gift card normally through the checkout but this would just send them an order confirmation instead of an invoice.

I will also certainly pass this up as a feature request to our products team as it is a great idea that a lot of people would benefit from. At Shopify, we pride ourselves on the continued growth and development of our platform, and we are only able to strive towards this goal with feedback and comments from merchants just like you. There is never a guarantee that a request will get a Green Light, or make it to a product launch, but we really do appreciate you reaching out with your suggestion, as I’m sure you’re not the only merchant with this request.

Let me know if there is anything else at all that I can help you with!

Kind regards,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hi @Lulu5 ,

this is really a bummer... We have a lot of order placed by phone and we had hoped that we wouldn't have to create a custom checkout app.

I actually have a ton of ideas for what could be added/improved, where is the best place to submit them?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
236 27 40

Hi, @david_adam!

Thanks for getting back to me. I know it would be a handy feature for sure. You can certainly take orders on the phone and mark them paid by card, it just doesn't work the same way with gift cards I'm afraid. We have a guide in our help centre here on draft orders so be sure to check it out.

A custom checkout app would only work if you were on the Shopify Plus plan as there isn’t actually the ability to edit the code for the checkout. The primary reasons behind not being able to edit the checkout CSS are around security, responsiveness, and maintaining PCI compliance. If we had customized checkouts, any updates or improvements that we wanted to make would have to be made on a store-by-store basis. As you can imagine, this would take a very long time! It would also make the customer suffer if the checkout was then glitchy/not updated correctly. We still allow you to customize your checkout style (as noted in this guide), such as changing the colours and adding a banner to the top of the checkout page. However, ultimately these systems are in place with the primary focus of making our platform more secure for you and your customers. 

Regarding the feedback, you can pass it on to me here to me or you can send it to us by email, chat or phone us about it using this link. We are always happy to pass on any feedback from our merchants and we really appreciate it too as it helps us grow.

Kind regards,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes