Gift Card Issues

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Looks like Shopify's Gift Cards automatically send the card to the buyer's email versus the recipients, since there is no option to add the recipient's email at checkout.

Also, it appears the Gift Cards allow for discount codes to be applied at checkout. 

Is there a setting I am missing for both of these? Is it better to issue gift cards with an app?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
575 18 68

Hi, Paulina.

This is Max from the Shopify Guru Team. 

I took a look a the gift card apps available and didn't see anything that would meet the requirements you've mentioned. Have you ever considered using custom discount codes instead? This option would allow you to create individual codes with restrictions like the number of uses per customer, products or collections they apply to, value, etc. They also inherently can only be used one at a time. 

Delivering discount codes would be a different task than gift cards, but this would enable you to send them as a custom message to the recipient rather than the customer who placed the order. 

For more about the gift cards that Shopify offers check out these links:

I hope that helps you move toward a solution. If you need any more information feel free to get in touch with support directly or continue the conversation here with the forums community.

Cheers, 
Max
support@shopify.com

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
26 0 0

Paulina,

Since you can't customize checkout to add that recipient field, perhaps you can include an optional recipient field on the giftcard product page template as a line item, that will help capture the receipient email address.

Toronto, Canada | e-commerce enthusiast | Just helping the community
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
51 0 6

Hi Paulina,

GiftWizard can send gift cards directly to the gift recipients via email, IM, social network or they can be printed out with a QR code and given in person. The cards are sent with a greeting card that can be chosen out of a gallery uploaded and branded by the store.

You can also place discounts and BOGOs on them

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 4

Normally customers buy Gift Cards to give them to other people, it doesn't make sense at all to send the gift card to the buyer,  this is is common sense, basic function for ecommerce. I am pretty disappointed about it, why should I use a third paid app for this function?

Call them balance cards, money cards...whatever but they are not gift cards

This should be fixed by Shopify

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 4

I completely agree

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
816 50 103

Hi all!

Don here from Shopify!

Thanks for letting us know what you'd like to see in our gift card functionality here.

I'm going to file a feature request for this for you to let our developer team know that this is something our merchants expect to see in the platform. :)

You can always reach out to us via our support site if there's anything else you'd like to request or just for general help and support.

Thanks again for taking the time to let us know about this.

All the best!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 3

we upgraded specifically to use the giftcards - not happy that there is not even the most basic functionalty of sending the gift to the recipient - it is illogical to send yourself a giftcard. I can only think the lack of this function is to appease the app makers that charge for the feature. Please sort this out otherwise we will downgrade....

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1
Totally agree!
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 5

Are there any updates as to when the ability to enter a gift card recipient will be available?

3 Likes