Give customers REAL shipping times on checkout. Dropshipping.

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello everybody! 

I recently made a sale and everything was going ok until I found out my store does not give real shipping times to my customers. 

I dropship with Oberlo, and so the item that my customer believed would get to her in two days, was in fact coming from supplier in China and thus taking 7-14 days to reach the customer. 

How can I change this so that my customers get the real time? 

Note: I do not have any items on inventory, it's all dropshipping. 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
33 0 9

Hi there,

My name is Evan, I’m a Guru here with Shopify.

Congrats on your recent sale, that's very exciting! When it comes to Shipping though, you're very right it's important to be showing the correct rates. I took a look at your store by making a test purchase and I can see that it's displaying incorrect shipping times.

These Shipping Rates are actually a default that is enabled when you start on Shopify. They're called "discounted rates", and they're meant for customers who have inventory for their products. Because you're dropshipping, they're not going to help you very much, so we need to get rid of them and add Manual Rates.

What you'll do is go to Settings > Shipping, remove the older rates, and create new ones! This link has all the steps to do that but I'll include some steps below as well. I suggest creating a price based rate as Oberlo doesn't always have weight associated with the products.

To add those manual rates you're going to want to go to Settings > Shipping > Shipping Zones. You'll want to go into each Shipping Zone, by clicking "edit":

this

Once there, you'll delete those Discount Rates by clicking the little grey X.

this

After those are removed, you can create the Price Based Rates:

this

Now, Oberlo does have slow shipping, 7-14 days is usually the best shipping time it has. For that reason, customers don't want to pay for Shipping. So it's usually best to have it be a free rate, and instead factor that a shipping rate into your product price. We actually have some great blogs about shipping! They go over good techniques and prices, so it's very informative.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know! I'll be more than happy to help!

Evan | Shopify Guru

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thak you Evan! 

That was very informative and actually helped me the way I expected. 

I decided to go with price-based rates. 

0 Likes