Goetze theme - Requesting a shipping quote

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 4

I sell antiques and need to be able to quote shipping rates on a case by case basis. The quotes I provide would include the shipping plus customized insurance coverages for each product. Because of that reason, I cannot use Shopify or an app to calculate the costs.

I have run into further complications because if my inventory is marked as digital products (which solves my shipping issue), they will be removed from my Facebook Marketplace as well as Instagram Shopping. 

If I mark my inventory as physical products and set the shipping calculation function to $0, shipping will show up as free on checkout. I have included a clause in the sellers notes section stating that shipping is calculated separately and is not included in the total but it is confusing when my clients see "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Is there any way I can add a "Request a Shipping" quote button at checkout or is there another solution?

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 1

Good afternoon ModernAntiq, thank you for posting this question.  My vintage furniture business operates in the same way as yours--did you find a way to say at checkout that shipping varies based on location and that their total excludes shipping cost?

Thank you!

Regards,

Blue Bamboo

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 4

Hi Blue Bamboo,

Unfortunately, I was not able to find the solution I was hoping for...it seems too complex of an issue for Shopify to handle. But, I was sort of able to come up with something. Its not 100% ideal, but I couldn't think of anything else.

My solution centers around the fact that I provide my client with a separately calculated, detailed shipping quote taking into account things like distance, packing, insurance, ground floor/elevator access, etc. I am planning to create a number of zones and define the "shipping" cost by the price of the product.

So for example:
Products that cost $0 - $1000, the "shipping" would be $200
Products that cost $1001 - $2000, the "shipping" would be $400
etc

These amounts would act as a placeholder estimate and be considered a deposit only. That amount will then be subtracted from the final quote I present to the client. I would then include a clause stating that it is a deposit in the seller's notes on the cart page as well as in my general shipping policy.

I hope this helps!!

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 1

Good afternoon, thank you for the follow up response.  I appreciate your feedback on figuring out a way to accomplish your goal.  I've been in touch with customer support to see about creating a "request shipping quote" button as that is exactly what we need--it clearly states that the shipping is not included and that the client does not wish to pick up the item.

If I have any luck or find other ways to accomplish this task, I'll let you know.

In the meantime, all the best to you and with your business.

Sincerely,

Blue Bamboo

1 Like