HELP - Confused about package types

Highlighted
2 0 0

I'm new and just opened my shop with one type of product. The default package type is set for this product. However, I'm now going to add other types of products that are different sizes. How do I assign non-default package types?

Im only using usps priority and ups ground as my shipping options. 

Thanks, 

Susan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
911 60 160

Hi, Susan.

Dallas here from the Social Care team here at Shopify

For packages, there's only one box dimension that can be used as a Default Package. That default package would be set up under Settings > Shipping in your Store Admin. However, you can add more box sizes there as well.

The default package would be used automatically when your customer moves through the checkout to assume the price for shipping with the box weight attached, however, you can then change away from the default package size when you fulfill the order. After clicking on an order that needs to be fulfilled under Orders in your Online Store Admin, you can click on Create Shipping Label, and it will take you to a page that looks like this:

09-47-5z69j-403q3

From there you'll be able to choose from all of the other boxes that you have created, and you can make all of the necessary adjustments for creating an accurate shipping label.

If you are using USPS it sounds like you're located in the USA. Have you thought about using Third Party Carrier Calculated Shipping? For shipping with online sales, you may want to look into Third Party Carrier Calculated Shipping which allows Shopify to retrieve shipping rates directly from carriers via their web APIs for your customers to receive real-time shipping rate. This'll help make sure that all of your shipping rates are as accurate as they can be when your customer purchases from your store.

There are three ways to get Third Party Carrier Calculated Shipping.

•  Sign-up for the Advanced Shopify plan.
  • Add CCS for an additional $20/month to the Basic Shopify or Shopify plan.
  • Sign-up for any Annual plan of at least 12 months. We can add CCS for free as a thank you for choosing Annual.

Custom calculated rates - Rates and methods - Shopify Help Center. Do you think this is something that you would be interested in?

If you have any more questions, please do let me know.

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

You can use box packaging app like the Multi Carrier Shipping label app where you can set up various box sizes. So if your product type 'metals' can go inside one type of box, you can create that box inside the app. for another set of products, you can create another box. When these products will be placed in cart, the appropriate box will be selected based on the size of the products and the box. However, in this case also, you will have to manually set the dimensions of each product. There is no way to define default dimensions for every set of products.

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes