HELP FAST. Closed my site. Customers have a problem with tracking order.

Highlighted
6 0 0

So 10 days ago I opened my shop. It was meant to be a tester. I got over 30 sales and just now I got an e-mail from one of the first customers who got an auto email saying that his shipment is sent. He clicked on the order and got to my site that I have now shut down (because I am working on a new one). Of course, the customer might think he is involved in a scam when I can't properly give him a tracking order and sees that my site is down. 

This is what the customer tells me: "I bought the [thing] and received the related order e-mails. Through the e-mails received, I went to check the shipping status of the order but the link takes me back to a non-existent website [becasue I closed it]."

What do I do guys?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

Hey, John. 

Peter here from Shopify Support.

That definitely sounds like a tricky situation, and while I can't say for certain what the best route is, I do have a few suggestions. Your first route could be to reopen your Shopify account for a month so that you can update the orders, and ensure that your customers receive them. This would be the best route to avoid any confusion on your customer's side, and will greatly help with reducing the chances that you'll receive chargebacks. 

Another route you could take is explaining to your customers that email you that you've made a change in your business which has caused your previous site to be obsolete. As long as you're able to help them with tracking their package, and ensure their needs are looked after, this route will work. That said, you'll want to be careful in the language you use to explain this change to avoid any confusion, and making them feel like an unvalued customer. 

I hope this information helps, however, if you have any questions then feel free to reply back and I'll happily help out! 

All the best, 

Peter 
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
6 0 0

Thanks! I like the second option.

What do you think about sending an email to all the customers with their own tracking code implemented on the page? It would take time, but also properly inform the customers about their tracking information so that they don't have to ask. I just don't want my customers to feel upset, do you think its a necessity?

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Now 3 people have contacted me about this issue. I have given them a nice explanation and the tracking number with a page. Should I send an e-mail to all of them? PayPal is currently withdrawing some money from me.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

Hey, John. 

Happy to hear that one of those suggestions worked! Given that more people have reached out, I would recommend emailing all your customers to make them aware of the situation. This is a great opportunity to be proactive and provide that next level customer service to avoid any issues down the road. I can't say that this will fix the outcome of any disputes, or stop them from happening, however, this will help mitigate the chances of them being created. 

Hope that helps!

All the best, 

Peter 
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
6 0 0

Thanks. I E-mailed all of them and gave them proper information. (Good learning experience.)

0 Likes