[Help] Shipping rate for a specific product

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 6

I have added a product to our online store (Peavey AT-200 Auto-Tune guitar). It requires special consideration for shipping and the cost is $30 across Canada & the Continental US. 

Shopify doesn't seem to have the capability to create product-specific shipping rates, nor one-off special handling costs in lieu of product-specific shipping rates. So instead, I thought I'd abuse the weight-based rates by creating a very narrow weight range that would handle the situation whereby a customer bought ONE guitar (and nothing else). 

Our shipping zone includes all Canadian provinces & territories + 49 "states" of the US (includes District of Columbia).
The weight-based rate is "Peavey at-200" from 4.535 kg to 4.537 kg (product weight is 4.536). The rate before and the weight after are incremented by a gram (i.e., "Medium" 2 - 4.535 kg and "Heavy" 4.538 kg - 20 kg). 

When I add the product to the shopping cart, it does not pick up this new narrow-zone weighted shipping price of $30 and instead picks up "Heavy" at $20, which is not what we are expecting.

Further, the calculated rates reveal wildly incorrect shipping estimates for Canada Post "Expedited", "Xpresspost" & "Priority".

We do not currently use Shopify labels & instead, do all of that legwork manually. I find it odd that the shipping box sizes are not included in the online estimates for shipping, as you can certainly imagine shipping a guitar is both an odd size and a delicate package. 

1) Why isn't the system picking up the correct weight range shipping value of $30? 

2) How can we gain better control over the computed shipping values? (Ideally, these inputs should be product-based ... i.e., box dimensions, handling charge or other special "one-off" situations based on the specific requirements of the individual product).

3) What is the best way to achieve what we are after (special shipping rate for this one product)?

Product link - https://shop.nicolpawn.ca/products/peavey-at-200-autotune-guitar

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Cheers,
stk 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 6

Here are some back-office screenshots that might help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

A good way to resolve your problem is by opting a solution that can show rates based on product type. The Multi Carrier Shipping label app does just that. 

Regarding the rates that you have set based on weight, i think those would not work as Shopify handles values till 2 decimal places. The miniscule change would not reflect in the system and hence there would be discrepancy in the rates. Even in the Multi Carrier app, the check for 2 decimal places is there. However, we round off the 3rd decimal place.

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes