Help please! Nightmare first order.

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 5

Just received my first ever order on shopify for £439.99 (1 product of high value). After the initial excitement wore off, I realised the order was marked as high risk. The alert I am getting is that the street address does not match the billing street address, and the order shows similar characteristics of other fraudulent orders in the past. I went to email the customer to ask for more identification/ a utility bill matching the billing street address, and the email address is mis-spelled (one letter away from the name on the order). The billing address is in Gibraltar and appears to be a company address. The actual address is in London and seems legit from Google Maps street view. Should I correct the one letter difference in spelling on the email address? Or am I at risk of exposing myself to issues with violating privacy/personal info etc. etc. If I can't get in touch then I am not sure how to resolve it, customer left no other contact info. 

Thanks in advance,

Jennifer 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
723 76 130

Hey, @jennifert3!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

I know how stressful high-risk orders can be so I am going to go through some helpful information with you here. Shopify's risk analysis algorithms look at a combination of an order's characteristics, as well as customer history. The algorithms determine whether the order's characteristics match patterns identified from the millions of past legitimate or fraudulent orders seen across Shopify's platform. In my opinion, it is rarely wrong! 

The decision is ultimately up to whether you fulfil the order or not. Do you feel comfortable fulfilling the order? I would usually recommend against it if you can't get the customer to confirm anything. It will save you in the long run.

This fraud prevention guide has some excellent tips on dealing with fraudulent orders. I would recommend having a good read of it.

I would also always recommend downloading the Fraud Filter app for future reference, as this provides an additional layer of security on your store. You can also block certain customers from placing orders if you wish with that app.

At the end of the day if you don't feel comfortable fulfilling the order then don't, I know it is exciting to get your first order but always be sure to err on the side of caution if the Shopify algorithm detects a high risk. High-risk orders can result in chargebacks which can cost you a lot of money in the long run. (Read more about chargebacks here) 

I hope that helps but if you have any other questions, please let me know! 

Kind regards,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 5

Hi Lulu,

Thankyou I cancelled and refunded the order. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
723 76 130

Thanks for getting back to me, @jennifert3. I am glad to hear. If it was a legitimate order then they will reach out and ask what happened or place another order but its best to stay on the safe side.

If you have any other questions at all, please let me know! As you are new to Shopify, be sure to check out our Shopify Academy, we have so many free short courses that are really informative. You can enrol at any time here. Also, with Black Friday and Cyber Monday coming up, we have put together this Black Friday Checklist full of tips and tricks to make the most of the busiest online season! 

All the best,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes