High Risk Orders from Mexico

Highlighted
1 0 0

As of yesterday, I have had 4 new orders, 3 of which are delivering to Mexico and have come up as 'high risk of fraud'. 

• They all say 'Characteristics of this order are similar to fraudulent orders observed in the past'
  • All say 'CVV isn't available' - even though I have the setting turned on where it's required?
  • 1 has a matching billing address in Mexico, the other 2 have US billing addresses
  • 1 of them has the name 'John Smith' on billing and customer name, whilst delivery name is 'Jorge Labrador'

I'm still in the testing phase with ads and so haven't been getting a great amount of sales yet, so if these are truly fraudulent, it seems very unlucky to have them at such a rate. I'm also only selling Jewellery under £30 at this time, which seems a strange target for fraud. I'm also quite concerned that these orders are still coming through my ads, so if they're illegitimate, it's ruining my data. 

Also, it's one thing risking the relatively low price to ship an item, but I've seen on other forums that people seem to have their store closed down without notice or appeal if they fulfill high risk orders. Does this stand to reason? I simply cannot take that risk. 

I'm hoping to get some insight from others and come to a decision about what I should do. Are others experiencing such rates of high risk orders? As they've all come from Mexico, should I just turn off targeting Mexico in my ads? I'm quite deep into my ad testing budget and so the unreliability of the data now is particularly concerning to me.

Thanks for taking the time,

William 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
836 50 106

Hi there @LovAnaverse!

Don here from Shopify.

If you're ever unsure about whether or not it's wise to go ahead with fulfilling an order that has an elevated risk profile there are some steps you can take to attempt to verify that order.

Check out our fraud prevention tips here on our help site for some checks you can run yourself to help you make an informed decision in this instances.

If you haven't already, think about adding a fraud prevention app like our own free Fraud Filter app to expand on the tools already available in your platform for this.

Ultimately, it will always be the decision of the store owner to decide if an order presents a level of risk too great to proceed with and you can take steps like those outlined here in order to give yourself the best information on which to base this decision.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi there,

The same happened to me. I received an order from Mexico last Wednesday. I went ahead and fulfilled the order as I believed it could have come from social media. I waited until I received the funds to ship the item off. Today I received a larger order from Mexico and began to raise suspicion. I have not fulfilled or shipped the items yet but I'm wondering what harm this can do to my account since I received the payment. Is it possible that my store will be hacked?  I am very nervous and waiting on the previous order to reach its destination. 

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
779 64 175

The harm I've experienced is in the form of chargebacks, these are a pain plus cost you money.

When a high risk order comes through we have support reach out to the customer to verify their information, and if necessary request a photo of them holding their ID.

That's the safest way to do it in my opinion. Most customers understand. If they get defensive you can just let them know it's an automated system and that fraud hurts your business, so you're just being safe and double checking.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app).
Creator of Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, send emails).
Creator of Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
My team also builds custom apps and automated solutions.
Enjoy the adventure!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
836 50 106

Hi there @gabbyro!

Don from Shopify once more.

For info on how to approach orders you feel may have an elevated level of risk, check out my earlier reply for some steps you can take in these situations.

In terms of your account, there should be no security risk to your Shopify account from fulfilling an order.

What you may encounter, if an order is disputed by the cardholder is a chargeback against that order.

Though there is no risk to your account security or login from this, if you wish to be as secure as possible with your account the single best step you can take is to activate two-factor authentication.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes