High Risk of Fraud order

Highlighted
4 0 0

I received an order last night which is flagged as High risk of Fraud. When I view the fraud analysis the only red flag is that the "characteristics of this order are similar to fraudulent orders observed in the past". 

The CVV is correct, the IP address is the same location the order was placed. Billing country matches. IP address isn't high risk.  The issue seems to be that they want the order shipping to another country.  I have emailed them and they have responded saying it is being sent to a cousin.  They have since emailed and asked if I can send it somewhere else entirely - again a different country to them.  Would the best option be to cancel the order and ask to pay by Paypal?  I'm not sure why someone would order 2 personalised mugs on a stolen credit card but it is a fairly high value order (as far as mugs go, its not massive value) so obviously don't want to lose out on the product and also have to refund via chargeback.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3386 252 602

Hi @pamh74,

Nick here from Shopify. Really good question. 

This is a decision which is ultimately up to you. The advice I would always give is to reach out to the customer directly which you have already done. Canceling the order and asking the customer could cause them to maybe not follow through on the order also, which is something to consider, but if you feel strongly enough about it, then it might be something to consider. If for example, this customer does indeed file a chargeback, you will have the email stating they are sending it to their cousin as evidence. It might be worth adding tracking to the shipment for your peace of mind, to know it did get to it's destination. This would again be further proof and evidence for you. 

But as I mentioned, inevitably this is a decision only you can make. Shopify has a helpful guide going into details about preventing chargebacks inquiries which might be worth your time to read here

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions about this. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
4 0 0

Thanks for your response Nick. I have further emailed the customer asking for a photograph of the card (as per the Shopfiy information) and also why they are changing the destination country.  If they come back to me I will ensure I send the order tracked & signed as further proof. I do have a trail of communication with them. If it is fraudulent, the last email asking for further clarification, I suspect, will go ignored therefore I will cancel the order.

Thanks again.

0 Likes