High Risk of Fraud

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi, I am new too. I have several orders flagged as high risk of fraud. I have contacted the customers via emails mentioning my store's fraud analysis system detects the risk of fraud and asked them to give a reason. One customer replied my email and attached their driver's license, the other customer replied attaching a photo ID issued by his government. The photo ID and the drivers licence as above said have their names, address matching the shipping address. However, as being flagged, they had different IP address compared to shipping address.  Should I trust these info (photo ID, drivers licence) and these customers, their orders and as such I can be confident to go ahead and place the orders?  Thank you for any reply.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
150 16 28

Hi, @triphan!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify.

Getting orders that have a high fraud risk can be super stressful. You've certainly done the right thing though, by contacting your customers.

Our fraud analysis is designed to help you avoid chargebacks. A chargeback is where a customer makes a complaint to their bank about a transaction. If they win the chargeback, the money is returned to the customer, whether you've shipped the order or not meaning you could be at a loss.

As you've contacted the customers already, and they've provided you with ID, this is the point where the decision lies entirely with you. There's always the element of risk with these situations, but my advice is to trust your gut! If you're happy with the evidence they provided, then go ahead and fulfill the orders.

We have a great guide on fraud prevention which you can find here, which also links you to our fraud filter app to give you some added protection.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Cheers!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Miles, 

I have exchanged emails back and forth with one of the above said customers whose orders were high risk flagged and I just got a confirmation emails from him stating that he agreed to withdraw the claim for chargeback (a chargeback made by him just today and shown in my Shopify Admin page). In the emails I asked him the reason why he opened a chargeback. He replied that he has not received a tracking number to track to see if his paid items were in transit. I did raise the issue of the Covid 19 epidemic causing some delay compared to my store delivery policy. Finally I got update from the supplier with a tracking number, I sent it to him and he agreed to withdraw the chargeback and as my request, he also stated he will not open another chargeback for his next two orders.  So with these evidences like his photo ID, all the emails between him and me, shipment updates, etc. I have still to hit the "Submit Response" and upload all evidences to his bank through the yellow banner shown up in my Shopify admin page, haven't I?  The question is how many percentage I will win this chargeback?  Thank you for any of your reply.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1
Hi Miles,

Thank you for your email. I did reply to your post regarding this matter.
Please, if you don't mind looking into it and throw me an idea.

Thanks again

Tri
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
150 16 28

Hi, @triphan!

Thanks for getting back to me. That's great news about your customer canceling the chargeback.

To be on the safe side, I would still submit evidence to the bank. This is just in case the customer decides to continue with the chargeback. Make sure to include all correspondence with your customer in the evidence as well.

If the customer drops the chargeback - or if you win, you won't lose any money. The only time you'd be financially impacted is if the customer wins the chargeback, in which case, the money the customer paid would be returned to them.

Based on your conversations with the customer, it seems this will be resolved without the chargeback, so that's a great outcome for you.

Let me know if you have any questions at all!

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1
Hi Miles,

I have had about 30 emails conversation with the customer but the form allows me to attach only one file. How can I attach more files? All are PDF extension. Hope to have your reply email.

Thank you

Tri
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
150 16 28

Hey, @triphan!

Chargebacks only allow for one form of evidence to be submitted. If you've got multiple emails or other evidence you need to attach, my suggestion would be to screenshot everything into a document and attach the document in full. That way, you can include everything in one go, and can have peace of mind that you have not missed anything. Once you've submitted the evidence, you'll just need to wait for the outcome from the bank.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks!

0 Likes