High Risk of Fraud

Tourist
22 0 1

I just received an order for $117, but Shopify says it has a high risk of fraud. I just email the customer to confirm and asked what they ordered. The only thing is that I cannot call them because I am at a remote mine site right now. It says they found my store on Facebook, but there are 3 people with the same name. What do I do? I haven't fullfilled the order yet I am going to wait and see if I get an email back. 

0 Likes
Tourist
22 0 1

The person emailed me back and showed me a screenshot of what they bought. Still don't know if I should trust it. I would like someone elses opinion.

Thank you

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
114 0 4

Hello Marvin! 

Kassey here from the Shopify Guru Team! As with anything, you want to use your judgement wisely. If the order has been flagged as high risk - your next step would be to contact your customer to ask them some simple questions and to try to sort out the situation. If you're still wary after contacting the customer, it is entirely okay for you to let them know that you will be refunding them instead of fulfilling the order. We do have a great article on fraud prevention that I would recommend checking out, you can read it here.  

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions - be sure to reach out to Shopify support!

Kassey S
Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Tourist
19 2 2

Hi Marvin,

Spotify is usually pretty accurate when it comes to flagging orders as fraudulent, so we tend to go with their recommendation and cancel all "high risk" orders, regardless of the individual circumstances. We've automated this by using the "Fraud Block" app (https://apps.shopify.com/fraudblock-fraud-prevention), which automatically cancels high-risk orders, restocks the inventory, and refunds/voids the payment.

One other thing I've done is turn on CVV and ZIP verification in all of the payment providers' settings panels. This will ask customers for their CVV and ZIP code, which reduces the number of high risk orders you receive in the first place.

Good luck!

0 Likes