High risk of fraud detected

Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 2

Hi,

I have got a message after one of customer placed order. Here is the snapshop.Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 11.44.00 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-30 at 11.44.11 AM.png

In shopify order page this is the message "payment was processed on the Mastercard ending in ....... via Shop Pay".

What should I do? I already placed order to my supplier. This is first time happened to me.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 132

Hey, @amshoeb1!

Lizzy here, I’m a Shopify support Guru. Thank you for your screenshots there. I can absolutely understand that it's a bit unsettling to see a banner like this in your admin for the first time. However, it is there to help you take steps to secure your business, just in case!

This message will come up when something about an order has triggered our fraud prevention system. If you click here you will see a break down of the analysis and what caused the flag:

29-30-910hn-x9sl1

This page from our help center explains a bit more about what these different flags mean and how you might be able to protect yourself from any potentially fraudulent activity, based on what you see. 

In this case, as you've already placed the order with the supplier I wouldn't suggest cancelling the order in your Shopify admin, unless you can cancel the order with the supplier. I do recommend following up with your customer on any of the flags that you would like to investigate. If this order does result in a chargeback, any correspondence with the customer can be submitted as evidence.

All of that being said, there is of course the chance that this order will not result in any issues. In future though, for peace of mind, I recommend investigating any orders with a risk of fraud before placing the order with your supplier. That way you can cancel the order and refund the customer if you don't feel comfortable.

Please don't hesitate to share any further questions you have on what I've said here. This is a tricky part of running a business online and one that's important to discuss!

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
44 0 9

Hi @amshoeb1 ,

As the alert suggests this is a potentially fraudulent order. It doesn't mean that it's 100% certain this is the case, but reading the full analysis report can give you some clues as to why Shopify felt that this order is probably fraudulent and using a potentially stolen card.

It's up to you to determine if you'd like to continue, but just a tip from me - sometimes mistakes happen and orders are mistakenly marked fraudulent. If you want to try and recover the sale safely then customer verification is key.

You can use the provided customer email/phone number to ask for key details to verify the order.

You can ask for key information like:

• What's the total on the order?
  • Which items did you order?
  • What's the last 4 digits on your credit card?

If you don't receive a response within an acceptable amount of time - that's a strong indicator that the contact information is fake and the order should not be fulfilled.

However, if the customer provides key details about the order it could mean that this case was a "false positive" aka an incorrect flagging. It happens, but a little bit of background can help recover these kinds of sales.

You shouldn't have to think about fraud on your Shopify store.
Ask me about
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

How do you suggest contacting them? Do you tell them some red flags of fraud have been linked with the card or account?

0 Likes