Holiday shipping , how to disable shipping method temporary

2 0 0

Hi, I used to ship by my local post office, however Christmas is coming, normal air posting will not be available soon. I would like to how to disable the Normal air shipping method but still shown to buyers (but cannot choose it and have a label saying currently not available until 2019) when buyers check outs is coming.

Thanks alot

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3164 239 524

Hi elabguy, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

Great question about this. I did some digging on it for you and found and don't believe what you're looking for is possible. The reason being is that when a shipping rate is displayed in a customer checkout, it is only the shipping settings which are available to that customer based on their location and product they are ordering. 

There are however a couple of alternatives you can look into for displaying this information and getting your message across. The first way jumped to my mind instantly was to have a Shipping information page. Shipping information pages are quite common with online stores nowadays and offer a great way to explain any complex shipping methods, rates or FAQ's you believe your customers might be having. The content team at Oberlo wrote a great blog post with some good Shipping Page examples for inspiration which you can see here. The other thing you could do is mention any interesting shipping information on the product descriptions of certain products should it make sense. 

I hope this helps and gives you some direction with how to approach this moving forward. Don't hesitate to ask any other questions should you have any. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks for your help, I guess I have no choice but to delete the normal air mail method at this moment and put it back later

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3164 239 524

Hi elabguy, 

No problem at all. I think so, but honestly feel it is the better way to go about it. It doesn't make a lot of sense to display a shipping rate which isn't active and could give customers the wrong idea. By explaining that the new rate is coming back again in the new year on its own separate shipping page you are still informing your customers of what's going on in a professional way which is easily found on your website. 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes