How To Set Up 2 Conditions For 1 Shipping Rate

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 6

Hi,

I have a question about setting up a complex shipping rate condition.

In Manage Rates of Shipping, I already have a "Free Shipping for Orders over $40" option.

However, For several items over $40, I want to charge the shipping fee on these items anyways. But in each shipping method, I can only set up 1 condition based on either weight or order price. 

May I know how can I set up these exclusions?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @PrintersParts,

Unfortunately, this cannot be done with the native options included in Shopify. Reason being, your free shipping trigger is cart priced based, but any Shopify shipping profiles will be product price based; even though some products don't qualify for free shipping, their cart value should go towards the $40 free shipping threshold. 

I.e. restricted item cost is $25 and the customer orders 3 other items that qualify for free shipping and they cost $32 in total. The total cart value is $57, but if the restricted item is in its own Shopify shipping profile, the $32 product value wouldn't be enough for the customer to trigger free shipping for the free shipping items. 

Another added complexity is that you will have abandoned carts since customers will expect free shipping over $40 but not know why a rate is being charged at checkout. 

If you're open to using a third-party app, you can get your desired setup in Intuitive Shipping and also create Scenarios to maintain your customer expectations at checkout. You would do this by creating custom shipping method descriptions when carts include free and heavy items, and include a note such as "the X product is oversized and does not qualify for free shipping". This way, when they have spent over $40 but have a mixed cart of items that can ship free and items that cannot ship free, they will be charged shipping and also know why they are being charged for it. This is also a great technique for any items that are made-to-order,since you can include the lead time, i.e. "We make this item exclusively for you! Your order will ship within 3 days".  

Keep in mind that with any third-party shipping app on Shopify, they require you to enable Third-party Carrier Rates if you are on the Basic or Shopify plan. This is $20/mo a-la-carte, but if you sign up for annual billing, you can get it for free and also save 10% on your Shopify subscription! You'll have to contact Shopify support to get this added to your plan. 

If you would like to learn more, feel free to book a call with us!

Warm regards,
Sharon

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping
Execute a strategic approach to shipping | Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 6

Thank you for your help, Sharon.

I will check the 3rd-party App for shipping rules.

Frederic

0 Likes