How can I accept debit at a craft show with Shopify?

Highlighted
3 0 0

I've been digging around and I've yet to find an answer for my issue.

I'm a Canadian Shopify user and I'll be selling in person at an upcoming Christmas show. It looks as though Shopify cannot accept Interact Debit in Canada. Is that correct? I'd prefer not to limit customers to only using credit cards.

The options I've come across seem to indicate I can get a Moneris system or possibly use Square? Is that correct?

I will only be doing a 2-3 in person events a year so I'm not looking to get anything that has additional overhead which I think might be the issue with the Moneris reader.

Has anyone had any experience with sellling online and in person as well and accepting debit?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
575 18 71

Hi, Stephen.

This is Max from the Shopify Team. 

Shopify POS software and hardware in Canada does not offer a built-in debit card processor. Debit/Credit hybrid cards can be swiped using the Swipe (audio-jack) card reader, debit-only cards cannot be used at this time without an external option like you've mentioned in your post. More popular external card reader options are listed here.

The Swipe (audio-jack) card reader is also a good option for merchants who aren't planning selling year-round, because you can get a free reader like this for your shop and connect it to your device when it suits (for no extra cost, no contract, etc). 

Debit can be a popular payment preference in Canada, so, depending on your market, you might want to accomodate for this or even prep your customer based ahead of time with the types of payments you'll be able to accept at the fairs or pop-ups you attend.

Let us know if you have any further questions about how to sell and make the most of your experience using our software, selling in person, etc. 

Best, 
Max
support@shopify.com

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes