Solved

How do I change Paypal Express Checkout to client email address

Grant-Senior
Excursionist
36 3 7

Hello, hope somebody can help with this.

I have set up a site for a client and the site is to use Shopify Payments and the Paypal option.

I have yet to complete the Paypal account setup (I have done nothing so far) but the panel in Settings states that my own email address is the Connected Paypal account. I don't want the site to be using an account connected to me, it needs to be the clients account. What is the best way to do this?

Can I just use Deactivate the Paypal Express Checkout option and then set it up again using the client's Paypal account details?

How is it that my email address is being used? Is it because I am currently the Store Contact (this will ultimately be the client's email address). Or is it because I am listed as the Store Owner and again this will ultimately be the client.

My thoughts are that I should change the Store Owner email address to the clients, deactivate the Paypal Express Checkout then set it up again wit the client's email address in place as Store Owner and this will then solve the Paypal account. Is that correct?

Seems that this should be a common problem. Hope somebody can assist.

Cheers

Grant

Accepted Solution (1)

Grant-Senior
Excursionist
36 3 7

This is an accepted solution.

I've had confirmation from Shopify regarding this. Below is their reply confirming what I thought I needed to do.

When you set up your Shopify store, Shopify creates a PayPal Express Checkout account for the email address you used to set up your store. If you already have a PayPal account with that email address, then you receive payments from orders made with PayPal right away.

Since this store is your client's, you can simply deactivate the Paypal account connected by clicking Deactivate Paypal Express on Checkout and you will have a confirmation - just click it and you're done. The button will change to Deactivate and once that appears, click that button and follow the on-screen prompts to remove the existing Paypal account.

After transferring store ownership to the client, they will have the option to set up Paypal account again or the system will automatically link their email address. The new store owner then needs to follow this step to replace the Paypal account.

I hope that helps anybody else not clear on how to deal with this.

Grant

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)

Grant-Senior
Excursionist
36 3 7

This is an accepted solution.

I've had confirmation from Shopify regarding this. Below is their reply confirming what I thought I needed to do.

When you set up your Shopify store, Shopify creates a PayPal Express Checkout account for the email address you used to set up your store. If you already have a PayPal account with that email address, then you receive payments from orders made with PayPal right away.

Since this store is your client's, you can simply deactivate the Paypal account connected by clicking Deactivate Paypal Express on Checkout and you will have a confirmation - just click it and you're done. The button will change to Deactivate and once that appears, click that button and follow the on-screen prompts to remove the existing Paypal account.

After transferring store ownership to the client, they will have the option to set up Paypal account again or the system will automatically link their email address. The new store owner then needs to follow this step to replace the Paypal account.

I hope that helps anybody else not clear on how to deal with this.

Grant