How do I establish shipping rates when products ship from different suppliers?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 1

Hi, I am near the launching of my store and am befuddled about how to establish shipping rates. I am using two printers located in different areas of Canada. I will not be shipping products myself. 

So, if a customer orders product A (that will be shipped from Printer A) as well as product B (that will be shipped from Printer B), how do I charge for shipping? Each printer will charge me for shipping each product but I cannot pass this expense onto the customer. Do I set rates per product? Per weight? Then hope for the best that I don't lose my shirt on shipping charges?

I notice some posts refer to an app but since I'm starting out, I would prefer NOT to use an app just yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1241 76 273

Hey, @LMcLellan!

When it comes to using two fulfillment locations, Shopify shipping section falls short as it can't calculate shipping rates to accommodate for two different packages. If you're hoping to avoid using a third-party app to add this functionality, then your best workaround would be to look into adding the cost of the shipping into the product cost, then offering free, or low-cost shipping. This route helps ensure you cover the base cost of shipping, while still earning the profit from the t-shirt. 

Do your printers offer an outline of their shipping rates, and how they calculate their rates?

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 1
Thank you Peter for your valuable input. I think both printers have special rates with Canada post.

For now, until I begin collecting data from sales or feedback from visitors regarding shipping, I have tried to be fair with pricing. Looking at what companies charge me and basing the prices on purchase amounts.

I’ll just have to monitor the costs.

Thank you very much for responding.
Leesa
1 Like