How do shipping profiles calculate rates?

Highlighted
1 0 0

We have two items we will be shipping. 

One item is much heavier than the other, but is smaller. So, it could go in a flat rate box if people just ordered one or two of this item.

I am trying to figure out how to use the shipping profiles. 

This is my question. Imagine I have: 

- A custom shipping profile for Product A

- A general shipping profile

If someone buys both Product A and a different product, is the person charged just the rate for Product A?

Or, is the person charged a combined rate that adds together both rates?

Thanks,

Mary

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
739 39 125

Hi, @MaryH!

Tira here, from Shopify Support. 

That is a great question about shipping profiles! 

For your scenario, the customer is not charged just the rate for Product A. If product A is purchased with another product or other products, the rates of all these products are added together. This rate will show to the customer at checkout.  We have a detailed breakdown of how the combined rates calculate in our help doc here: Shipping profiles - combined rates at checkout.

Let me know if that helps!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi @Tira 

I'm having the same issue.

I have a General shipping rate profile, and a profile for one product that needs to go via an insured courier.

When the item that needs courier is in the basket, it finds the courier rate, when I add anything else, it says "There are no shipping methods available for your cart or address"

Am I missing something?  The basket weight is well within the upper limits?

Do the rates need the same name - I've tried that and it doesn't work...

Any help greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
739 39 125

Hi, @SeanieB1983.

Thank you for your question!

The error message that you receive will appear if the location that your customer is trying to order from, doesn't match the locations set-up in your shipping profiles. 

Do you have shipping rates set-up for the address that you used, for both the General profile and your custom profile? You can check this by going into Settings > Shipping and make sure that the location you're trying to ship to is available in the zone's location group, rates are available and that the rates cover the dimensions of the cart of products you're testing. Check out our help docs for step-by-step instructions on adding shipping zones and rates

If the location isn't added to the shipping rates in both shipping profiles, then making the names of the shipping rates the same will not add up at checkout. You can learn more about that here: Naming your shipping rates.

Let me know if that helps!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes