How do you deal with high shipping costs?

Highlighted
Excursionist
85 0 14
I am in the process of putting together my site and am realizing that shipping is going to kill me. We sell candles and they are heavy. Seems a lot of candle companies are offering free over a certain amount or flat rate at $5.00 or so. I cannot see how they are doing this. We were in the same business 7 years ago and I cannot believe how much shipping has increased since then. We mainly sold wholesale before, so the stores absorbed shipping costs in their markups, but it would be hard to justify buying one candle at retail and pay a high shipping cost too. The main mission of our business will be to donate a large portion of the sale to canine rescue groups.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
39 0 13
Best advice I can give is to shop around. Try UPS, Purolator, DHL, FedEx, and USPS if you're in the US or Canada Post if you're in Canada. I have a small, light product so shipping for me was pretty cheap.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 4
include the cost of shipping in your product and make shipping free
2 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
56 0 25
I agree with Hunter. Including shipping in your product and make shipping free. Also, look at flat-rate shipping, as it tends to benefit heavy, small product shipping. On a personal note, I also created my business to help fund my chronic donations to animal rescue causes. I love it!! If you build it from the ground up -- that is, put your canine cause first -- you'll do great. Good luck, and make sure you have a facebook page!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 2
I have given a range of shipping options from USPS. If you are in the USA, priority shipping and first class are the way to go. With first class, the shipments are around $3.00 (12 oz) for a small parcel across the USA. Flat rate Priority is also a good way $5.15 across the USA. I hope this can help you.
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
With USPS, paying for postage online is a little cheaper than going to a post office. Plus, when paying online delivery confirmation is free with certain rates, such as flat rate priority mail.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 2
Make sure to identify the cube size of your product for shipping, logistics companies calculate costs based on weight and size sometimes you can save money by adjusting your packaging. Another point is to look at overall shipping volumes and see what you can negotiate with the shipping companies. I have found that once you have a track record you can speak to your carrier's sales rep and see if you can re-work your pricing structure with them. For instance UPS has a tiered discount program for their customers the more you ship in a given time frame the more you will save. Your competitors have probably negotiated similar deals with the carrier's so they don't eat up as much of their margin with low shipping costs for customers. Volume is always a key factor in logistics costing.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes