How is it possible that Shopify will process an order with an incorrect shipping address?

TWC348
Visitor
1 0 0

How is it possible that Shopify will process an order with an incorrect shipping address? 
We are relatively new to Shopify (4 months) and have noticed we have had quite a few orders processed through Shopify that have the incorrect shipping address for example customers not adding a street name but adding a suburb, state, and postcode. 

Is there any way to make it so that Shopify won't process the order unless the shipping address is correct? 

Thanks 

Reply 1 (1)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, @TWC348!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. It sounds like your checkout settings may need to be changed. I'll walk you through some of the recommended settings, but feel free to have a play around with it so it functions the way you'd prefer.

If you head over to Settings > Checkout, you'll see a list of options that you can change. The first thing I would recommend checking is the address auto-complete. If you scroll down in the checkout settings, you'll see a section called "Order processing". While the customer is checking out you can select or deselect the following options:

Use the shipping address as the billing address by default
Reduces the number of fields required to check out. The billing address can still be edited.

Require a confirmation step
Customers must review their order details before purchasing.

Enable address autocompletion
Gives customers address suggestions when they enter their shipping and billing address.

I recommend using the address autocompletion option, but feel free to use the others in conjunction with that.

Another section to take a look at would be "Form options". Here, you'll be able to choose which fields are displayed and whether they are optional or required. This includes street address, full name, phone number and others.

These should be the main two options for you to edit, but please take a look at the others if you're looking for more customisation.

If you're still having issues after changing this, I'd love to help out. I would need some more information though. Screenshots are super helpful as well as examples. Let me know.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.