How long can I leave an uncaptured payment open?

Highlighted
2 0 0

I want to be able to capture payments of some orders only if I reach certain amount of orders. Said in another way: If I don't get to a N number of orders, I don't capture the payments.

For how long can I leave a payment order uncaptured? What's the limit time that I can go and click "Capture payment" and have no problem capturing it.

I'm using Paypal Express Checkout for the payment gateway. The site on Paypal says that the Authorization period is 29-days, does this mean Shopify will let me leave the order uncaptured for 29 days, and that's the time I'm possible to capture the payment.

Hope I'm explaining my self, otherwise let me know. Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1062 61 124

Hi there Carlos!

Don here from Shopify!

I've checked into this with our escalated teams here and other than the limit set by the gateway there would be no other restriction on when you can capture payment.

In the case of Shopify Payments, this is set to 7 days, though you had mentioned PayPal have a 29-day window so there should be no limit put in place before then by our system.

You can always reach out to us via our support site, 24/7 if you need any more info or support at any time. :)

All the best!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

It seems i am unable capture the payment but i explained the situation to the customer so how will i be able to be able to receive payment and fulfill the order. Or is it that when that happens the customers money automatically gets refunded. In essence what happens when the payment is capture. Please let me know soon.

0 Likes