How may I add additional insurance for USPS

Highlighted
1 0 0

Good day, I am looking for alternatives to allow increasing the insurance amounts on USPS shipping. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
591 33 94

Hi, Manor!

My name is Tira and I am a Shopify Guru here to help.

We have insurance coverage for USPS for up to $100 for four different types of shipments listed in our help document here, under “Insurance coverage”: Shipping carriers and insurance.

Since purchasing additional insurance is outside of our scope of support, and would involve the shipping company directly, you’ll need to contact USPS directly to inquire for more insurance coverage. You can also use their order form here.

I am also curious to see what the community can suggest for other alternatives!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4
Hi Manor,
I just saw your post.

We are developing an app, where you can automatically insure all your on an automatic basis: no matter which logistic company you use or the amount of your individual shipping. We are designing a Journey where your claims will be resolved within seconds.

Please let me know if you are interested to test our application.

Kindest regards,

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 14

This is what UPS says on it's website : "UPS's liability for loss or damage is limited, depending on the type of package and your location. If the value of your goods exceeds this amount, use Declared Value for Carriage to declare a higher value for your shipment up to the maximum allowed in your country or territory. The limits of declared value may vary according to the service chosen, and the origin and destination of the shipment. Select View Pricing for Value-Added Services for more information"

By using the Multi Carrier Shipping label app your shipments are automatically insured upto the limit and beyond that we populate the declared value that is the total worth of the goods and services. You just need to enable insurance as a special service in the app.

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1326 83 298

Hello, Everyone!

The information here is a bit outdated, and to avoid confusion with future viewers, I wanted to chime in to provide some insight on what we currently offer. If you are a store owner, shipping from the United States and are using Shopify Shipping, then you could be eligible for additional shipping insurance.  Heres a quick overview: 

• Orders can only be insured up to $5000
  • Shipping classes with tracking included (only excludes USPS First Class Mail)
  • Shipsurance is the insurance administrator for coverage that you buy through Shopify Shipping
  • Products must comply with Shipsurances Terms of Service

If your order is eligible for additional shipping insurance, then you will be able to purchase additional shipping insurance when purchasing the shipping label. Our help document here dives into this feature further should you wish to learn more. If you are not using Shopify Shipping, or you are not shipping from the United States, then you would not be eligible to use shipping insurance. In this case, speaking with the courier directly will be your best approach to seeing whether or not you'll be able to purchase additional coverage. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Hello Peter,

You stated "only excludes USPS First Class Mail), I hope that is not the case as I was able to purchase the insurance for my USPS First Class Packages. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1326 83 298

@Jewele 

I would need to look into the order to gain full context on why it would have allowed you to purchase the additional shipping insurance. I've gone ahead and emailed the email on your account; if you could reply there with the order number and your store URL, then I can have this reviewed. 

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Whatever you do, do not use the shipping insurance option in shopify.  it is a scam.  We had a lost package, and they denied covering our claim because our package had our shipping tape on it with our company name. They denied the claim stating that we alluded to what was in the package.  They also will not return the premium we paid for the package.  STAY AWAY from the shipping insurance option in Shopify.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1326 83 298

@EOS 

I am sorry to hear that Shipsurance, the insurance provider for the insurance you purchased was not able to cover the costs of your lost package. That is never an easy situation, especially when you may be out the costs of the contents of the order. When using Shipsurance, it will require that the business reviews and adheres to their Coverage Terms listed here. From the sounds of it, the reason behind your claim being denied is section E:

Loss, damage, shortage, or non-arrival of any parcel or freight and its contents when it bears a descriptive label or packaging which describes, or alludes to, the nature of the contents. This includes the manufacturer packaging. International shipments that contain customs declarations are NOT excluded from coverage.

The decision to approve or deny a claim would be based on the information supplied to them when the claim was created; however, I'm afraid Shopify does not have a hand in the claim process, and would not be able to overrule their decision. I would highly recommend reaching back out to Shipsurance if you have any questions, comments, or concerns about the claim process to determine if there is anything more that can be done. 

0 Likes