How to Handle Shipping Charges

Highlighted
3 0 0

I have a rather general question regarding shipping. Being in the process of establishing a new ecommerce store drop shipping sporting goods, I am at a loss as to how to handle the shipping charges. Here are a couple considerations:

• So many stores offer free shipping; however, while this would be possible with some small items, it would not be practical for other items which weigh several hundred pounds, such as baseball backstops, weight-lifting sets, etc.
  • I plan on selling only to the U.S. market; no international sales; Alaska and Hawaii are other question marks, as well.

Any constructive advice from those who have experience with this whole question would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
153 0 9

Hi! You are absolutely right. Shipping charges are tricky.

Just a few things to keep in mind:

1. Firstly, customers purchasing large heavy items understand that shipping is a cost. If you are selling your products at a sicount, adding shipping charges makes sense.

2. There are lots of good apps on the Shopify market that plug in to help you with integrating shipping costs. This way, your customer can see his or her cost for shipping before they buy.

3. You also may want to pick and choose which items you focus on and offer. If you are competing with Amazon who offers free shipping on items weighing hundreds of pounds, you may not get that far. They don't mind losing billions in shipping costs. (https://www.geekwire.com/2017/true-cost-convenience-amazons-annual-shipping-losses-top-7b-first-time...) Unless your business is based on a special offering of those larger items, focusing on smaller, more lightweight products can give you better margins, and you can concentrate on selling without worrying about shipping costs. This article might be helpful as well: https://fulfillrite.com/blog/dropshipping-get-rich-quick-or-real-income

Hope this helps!

Michael

e-commerce order fulfillment made fast. simple. easy. www.fulfillrite.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Michael.

Thanks for that reply. I will definitely read those articles that you linked. I appreciate your time and trouble to offer help. 

0 Likes