How to Pre-Order ship later?

Highlighted
Tourist
31 0 1

Hi

I need to have buyers pre-order.  Pay in advance to generate funds to print planner (like kickstarter). How is this done on shopify? Is there a shopify app I need or they can order - out of stock?  I need about 75 orders to pay for minimum printing order. Buyers would have to wait four weeks before shipment.

Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
112 0 25

Hi, Mark!

I’m Shay, a Shopify Guru. 

You can do this through Shopify. We have a detailed how-to guide on setting up products as pre-order items: https://help.shopify.com/themes/customization/products/allow-pre-orders. 

If you are going to capture funds up front, you do need to ensure that your customers completely understand that the product will not be received until a later date. Also, consider your refund policy/ what you will do if you didn't make your minimum in a certain time period. It's important to be super transparent so that you avoid support debt, customer complaints and chargebacks.

You can add additional wording to your website on the homepage, on collection pages, on product pages, on an FAQ/info page or any other page you create as well as on the cart page. You can even add the word PRE-ORDER to the product title. You'll want to make it abundantly clear that payment is taken right away, while the item will be shipped to them by X date and how it will all work / any terms and conditions. You can even add a terms and conditions checkbox to your cart page, so they have to agree to the pre-order or another term before checking out, more info on how-to here: https://help.shopify.com/themes/customization/cart/add-terms-and-conditions-checkbox.

Also if you're running a crowdfunding campaign, check out the Jumpstart theme to show it off: https://themes.shopify.com/themes/jumpstart/styles/jumpstart. 

Hope this helps! Reach out to the Guru team if you have any questions. 

Happy selling!

Shay

3 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I use the app "Pre-Order Manager" Developed by SpurIT

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
31 0 1

"so that you avoid support debt,"  What is support debt?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2294 116 353

"so that you avoid support debt,"  What is support debt?

customer support, technical support, refunds , all the support that proper planning can lower the cost of.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
31 0 1

is there a cost to do refunds?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2294 116 353

is there a cost to do refunds?

If you mean does shopify payments charge extra for refunds? NO. this doesn't mean things like chargebacks go away.

In the business meaning: if it takes time to do that's a cost.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
31 0 1

The instructions for pre-order require a shopify expert. Can I just change the name of the buy button to pre-order and explain clearly that orders will not ship for four weeks?  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2294 116 353

@Shay your posts link to pre-order customization is broken.

The instructions for pre-order require a shopify expert.

An expert is not required 'advanced' is there to show your on your own should you need to do this. The changes are very straightforward. 

Can I just change the name of the buy button to pre-order and explain clearly that orders will not ship for four weeks?  

Only do this if everything is pre-order, then sure why not. Alternatively i'll do this one gratis; send me a staff invite paull.newton+figuraplanner@gmail.com to do the steps after you do the payment gateway step.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4178 29 401

The concept of Pre-Order can be a lot more complex than the simple approaches and Apps proposed here. Merchants often want to first gauge interest in a product by presenting it as a "crowd-funded" possibility, whereby the number of buyers has to exceed some level of sales at price $X before said product will even be considered for reality. 

Secondly, when a product is successful at that point, funded 100% or more for M units, the merchant can then safely up the price and introduce the concept of a Pre-Order product at a new price of $Y for N more units. This is an important step.

Finally, a product that succeeds past the Pre-Order stage hits full retail. Only now does the merchant order a total of M+N+regular stock units, knowing they will not be stiffed. 

I see no Apps that are sophisticated like that, and it certainly is not a simple Liquid hack in 4 minutes either. It is the application of thinking big along with the reality of managing manufacturing costs well. 

I build out Apps like the one I described here, and I share that to help expand upon the fairly complex subject of Pre-Order.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
2 Likes