How to allow customers to use their own shipping service?

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hello!

We often have customers that want to use their own UPS/FedEx accounts to handle their shipments (to get their negotiated rates). Without getting rid of our calculated rates for those who want their items shipped 'normally', how can we add the option during checkout to allow other customers to use their own accounts?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3395 252 612

Hi Eric, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

This is a fantastic question. This sounds like something very custom. I checked with our higher technical support team for you on this and they said even if it is possible, there could be some security issues on your end. I looked at some of the most popular shipping apps in the app store also and didn't see this feature highlighted anywhere either. This leads me to think that this is something which would require code being built into the back end of your store plus you would need a private app being built and then connects that app to UPS for example via the API. 

What I would recommend is to reach out to a Shopify expert about this, and explain what you are looking to do and go from there. You can see a list of Shopify experts from the link here. I would also recommend asking this in the API board of the e-commerce here to see if anyone else could share any light on this. 

All the best, 

Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Thanks for the info!

Highlighted
1 0 0

Has this been solved yet? I need it too.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 7
Hey Nick,

This is something our customers ask us a lot too . So far I don’t think there is an app that can do this. Let me know if there is ever a solution .
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
22 0 7

We need this too, but I haven't found a solution. Some of our customers require 3rd party on their account so what I did was set up a custom checkout where our customers can order without paying and then we'll ship 3rd party and invoice separately using UPS worldship / FedEx software if a customer requires it. Unfortunately, it's only a workaround that's not fully integrated and you have to trust your customers to pay. 95% of our business is on account, so we rarely get paid before we ship.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Trying to revive this post because we are also looking for a way for customers to do something similar this. For our, we simply need a way for customers to enter their 3rd party shipping number at checkout if they chose to use their own shipping account.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

Let me try and break this into parts so that we can come up with something concrete. The first question : Are you trying to show real time rates from your customers' account or you only want to fulfil orders with them. Showing real time rates from your customers' account is something which is out of reach as Shopify support rightly said that it would have implications with site security. Now, if somehow you manage to adjust the rates for each customer at checkout, then only thing remaining is to collect and use their FedEx and UPS accounts and generate labels with them. For this, you can use apps that allow you to provide additional fields to capture account credentials. Once done, you can use the details in the Multi Carrier Shipping label app (it would require some additional work in the app) to generate labels.

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted

We are not trying to show real time rates. We simply want to capture the customers shipping account number if they chose to use that as their shipping method. Currently we have customers enter this info in the notes box on the cart page, however, many of them miss this and we are required to contact the customer to retrieve the info. The solution we are looking for is an input box on the checkout page that only appears if the buyer selects the option to use their own shipping account and will require them to enter something in the box.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

This is common practice for fulfillment.

Access to rates is not required therefore there should be no security issues.

Simply the option to bill third party carrier accounts and bill recipients at order level. 

Does anyone know if third party billing is available when using your own carrier account?

And, if so, can you alternate from using your account to Shopify shipping at order level?