How to block a payment method for specific customer

hlmo
Tourist
5 0 23

We would like to disable a specific payment method when specially tagged customer.

Replies 66 (66)

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

Hey, @hlmo 

At this time, it's not possible to set or restrict payment methods for your customers checking out on your store based on a customer tag. Payment methods are a store-wide feature that cannot be segmented out based on conditions. 

With that said, is there a particular reason why you want to limit the customers available payment methods? If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

hlmo
Tourist
5 0 23

thanks for answering
my goal is to show only the manual payment method to a group of trusted users, is there any way to achieve this

CodeComedian
40 0 1

In 2024 this is absolutely possible. For your goal to show only manual payment methods to a group of trusted users based on customer tags, the KlinKode PayRules app should work well. It allows you to customize payment method visibility based on customer tags.

Get the app here: https://apps.shopify.com/klinkode-payrules

And check out this guide for setting it up:

This approach should help you tailor the checkout experience for your trusted users just as you intend!

- Control payment methods visibility at checkout by KlinKode PayRules app.
- You can join in our Facebook group for Shopify help.
paul-lftag
Visitor
1 0 9

This is something we really need too.

Our use case is that we want to have all of our customers paying by credit card to lessen the accounting workload of tracking Direct Debit payments.

However we have a couple of big customers who insist on Direct Debit and they are big enough that we have to allow this for them. But we don't want it to be an option for the others.

And no, leaving it available and then just telling them afterwards that they can't use it is not acceptable as that just upsets people.

ShushiSocal
Excursionist
11 0 22

I would like to have this feature to only allow bank-transfer/invoice payment option to wholesale customers. I don't want to offer this to regular customer as cash-collection becomes a headache otherwise.

It seems Shopify-plus enables this but it is way too expensive for SMB while wholesale channel is a very common way to sell for SMB.

Any updates on this?

Blacksmith
Visitor
2 0 5

I would also like this feature for trade customers where we give a discount and want these customers to pay by bank transfer as we cannot bear the cost of payment fees in addition to the discount.

trickkiste
Visitor
1 0 8

Yes, same here.
We want to allow our resellers to select payment per invoice but certainly don't want all other customers to be able to use this method!

This is NEEDED BADLY!!!

Currently we tell these customers to create their carts and abandon them, then contact us, so we finish their order.

An ugly hack.

Especially, as you do not allow the shop owner to convert an abandoned cart into an actual order. So we have to copy everything by hand. SUCKS!!!

chrisjazz
Shopify Partner
4 0 4

+1 to this. It would be ideal to be able to set different payment options for different user groups and help automate the management of Wholesale /VIP customers

chadnl
Tourist
3 0 9

This is a glaring omission to Shopify! We too need to be able to restrict the manual payment to certain customers only. Please add this capability.

JOLIVER
Visitor
2 0 7

+1 for another site owner who needs this functionality

redbeerd
Tourist
3 0 8

+1 We also need this feature very badly so that we can show Net 30 as an option to our wholesale customers. I figured there must be some way to show the option to customers based on their tag(s), but it seems there isn't. There seems to be a really strong desire for this feature by at least some segment of your customers. Can we at least have a decent workaround, please? A way to hack it together using liquid to suppress or enable based on the customer's tag? Something?

Pashlich
Tourist
4 0 20

I’ve just had a chat with Shopify support who agree this would be a very good feature for many users and is going to submit it to the developers, he suggested they will look at demand from this thread too so if this is a feature you want please reply and give it a +1 so we can show Shopify we need it!!

VonAden
Visitor
1 0 4

+10 this work makes life so much less of a pain. We having to do this all manually right now, not even able to run the order through Shopify because of the fact that we can't select payment methods that are not available everywhere!

FriedFish
Visitor
1 0 3

+100 we need this for our wholesale clients, we have managed to be creative with different hack, but its still not nice to show all the options in the checkout. 

Swiss3DC
Tourist
3 0 3

+10!

specific users/buyers for wholesales shops should be able to have this option to ON

redbeerd
Tourist
3 0 8
What’s your hack?
WillHike
Visitor
2 0 3

Whats your hack?

+10000000000

ethan-rci
Visitor
1 0 1
+1!!!! REALLY need this feature. Shopify, please help us out here??
redbeerd
Tourist
3 0 8

@FriedFish , what's your current hack for getting around the lack of ability to let wholesale customers select different payment terms?

ShushiSocal
Excursionist
11 0 22

Not sure if @FriedFish uses same workaround but I create manual order and make the payment pending status. 

Obviously, it would be better if customers can just complete by themselves...

purplemonkey
Visitor
2 0 0

I would love to hear about your hack!!

CraftBuddy
Visitor
1 0 0

we need this too +1

AdrienS
Tourist
3 0 3

+1 mandatory request for B2B shop

Alvinm011
7 0 0

Try a payment hiding app, select manual payments on shopify to be active, then in the payment hiding app, select to display the "manual payment" option only if the customer tag is ... (whatever you update your wholesale customer tag to)

UPDATE: Free app to use: extreme checkout customizer, 

dentrotec
Visitor
1 0 3

Yes. We need this too. Currently we are telling our most trusted customers to mail us manually if they want to pay upon invoice. This is really ugly and against the ease of use and customer friendly features that Shopify known for.

Please add this feature sooner than later. +1

woland
Shopify Partner
4 0 3

Highly recommend to add Tags to customers which will set the condition for the payment methods they'll see.

The reason for this is because we want some valuable customers to be able to have the Net 30 Payment or Payment Terms - Manual Payment toggle as a choice. This would get rid of the Net30 problem needing to use other apps.

Very useful for Wholesale websites that allows more flexibility in Payment Types.

woland
Shopify Partner
4 0 3

I think the solution to this is very easy where you can use simple customer matching with tags

https://shopify.dev/api/liquid/objects/customer#customer-tags

And to show or not show the Manual Payment Methods depending on that Customer Tag for Checkout pages.

We can't do it ourselves because we don't have access to the checkout.liquid page. But it's totally possible if the Shopify team can do this for us.

Vihan
Visitor
1 0 1

What is the progress on this feature? Any updates? 

cgnz
Visitor
1 0 6

It's quite silly how Shopify includes alternative payment methods but no method to restrict them

We want to add a manual payment method for select customers, and we can't do it - not even with an app?

Shopify allows us to have the manual method for everyone, or not at all. So our choice is between a massive financial liability, or not implementing basic features that all our non-Shopify based competitors offer.

In this regard our business is now at a competitive disadvantage, for no reason other than that we chose Shopify for our platform.

Pashlich
Tourist
4 0 20

+1 to this, we need to be able to offer alternative payment methods to our wholesale customers that are not to be available to the general public. Crude workarounds are not ideal, Shopify you should really look into implementing this.

kevin_mart
Visitor
1 0 1

+1 This is a very needed feature, I have worked in an IT company before, they have a shitty e-commerce system that was created 10 years ago but already included this feature plus setting customers into different categories without any plug-in (shopify app).

I honestly cannot believe Shopify as nowadays one of the leaders in this sector being so outdated cannot includes this feature.

KASWE
Visitor
2 0 2

+1 This feature is well needed for our business!!!!!

carlsmith-wow
Shopify Partner
4 0 5

+1 - want to be able to restrict "Bank Transfer" payment option to select customers

philippd
Visitor
1 0 5

I just stumbled upon this as this seems like a pretty standard feature and was surprised to not see that. This blocks our switch to Shopify for now.

Cakechris
Shopify Partner
1 0 2

+ 1 here as well.   This makes it very difficult to support key customers

SueAxon
Visitor
1 0 3

+1 for this please. At the momnet we have made a TRADE payment button, but there isnt anything stopping anyone else using it. I cant think this would be too difficult for Shopify to add? why is it taking so long?

Giants_Fan
Excursionist
30 0 8

Yes +1 we need this too.  Along with:

1. Being able to add "company name" as a column to the orders page, I mean we can't filter our orders by company name?? We have many companies with dozens of employees who order, would be nice to filter or sort by company name..
2. Being able to create a draft order/order for pickup on the backend, currently you can only "fullfil" the order no "ready for pickup" button available

3. One default box size for your whole store?  This is so messed up, like who sells only one sized product?  

Tired of needing an app for everything.  So close to having my whole business switched over to shopify platform, but just might not fully do it.  It's fine for orders that come in online, but we were a brick and mortar first, have many established customers.  We were hoping to get all sales on one platform for ease, but shopify I feel has purposely left these gaping holes so we can buy more apps and they can collect.  But who knows, maybe a lot more "brick & mortars" are trying to make the switch.  Shopify, pay attention, add these basic features that multi-channel stores need.  

Tielka
Tourist
3 0 4

+100 we definitely need this too. We can't offer Afterpay or Paypal to wholesale customers as the fees are too expensive. And although Shopify Plus has this feature, it is WAY too expensive, starting at $2000USD/month!!! And their tagline is "Fair pricing. Unfair advantage." Maybe for Shopify, it's an unfair advantage, but definitely not for small businesses, many of which have wholesale as a significant portion of their sales.

BertK
Tourist
7 0 4

Agreed! We need this feature too so we can deny PayPal from wholesale customers and people with regular discounts, such as reps and such. Would like to offer also option payment options to wholesale customers that don't want to offer to retail ones. 

Alvinm011
7 0 0

try: Free app to use: extreme checkout customizer,

jslym777
Excursionist
21 0 6

I was told that if I want this functionality I would need to pay $24,000 per year and upgrade to Shopify Plus...

Pashlich
Tourist
4 0 20

This seems even more needed now that Shopify is actively charging transaction fees on alternative payment methods (eg afterpay etc). Stores need to have the flexibilty to restrict or allow various payment methods for various commercial reasons. SHOPIFY, YOUR USERS ARE SPEAKING BUT ARE YOU LISTENING??

jordanbdavis6
Visitor
2 0 2

ANyone gotten an update on this functionality or a solution? 

Peter_Wooster
Shopify Partner
23 0 11

+1 Our client needs this as well.  The ability to choose payment methods by customer tag is a basic e-commerce feature.

chadnl
Tourist
3 0 9
To my knowledge there has yet to be a cost-effective, i.e. non-custom programmed, solution. We had to go with a different e-commerce vendor.
Alvinm011
7 0 0

yep, i use this app

Free app to use: extreme checkout customizer,

Kalaubre
Tourist
3 0 3

Talked with Shopify on 8/25/22 and they said this is still not a feature and they recommend contacting a Shopify Expert, but there's no guarantee that expert would be able to make a workaround. Maybe everyone should contact Customer Support who has this issue so they dev team gets overwhelmed with this topic in their queue (although I'm not sure they even exist since there are so many lacking features I would expect to be included as a standard).

jslym777
Excursionist
21 0 6
I contacted Shopify developers and they said there is no way to do this as
Shopify doesn’t allow developers to get to the code they need in order to
change it. The only way to get access to the specific code is to have the
highest tier Shopify plan that starts at $2,000 per month.
Alvinm011
7 0 0

Free app to use: extreme checkout customizer,