How to block a payment method for specific products

Daniel71
Tourist
8 2 0

We would like to disable a specific payment method when specially tagged products are in the cart. The problem is that one of our external payment methods (Klarna) can only auth a credit card for 28 days, but in the case of items available for pre-order, the items might not become available for two months or more. So we would like to disable Klarna when the cart includes products that have specific tags. Is this possible? (note: we are a Plus store)

Replies 13 (13)

eitan_sperling
Visitor
3 0 0

I'm trying to get help with this exact issue. @KristiAtKlarna maybe you can help us? Thank you!

KristiAtKlarna
Shopify Partner
205 14 39

Hi @eitan_sperling -

Hiding a payment provider based on products in the cart can be done with custom Shopify scripts, see https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/apps/apps-by-shopify/script-editor, but custom scripts are only available for Shopify Plus merchants.  If you are Shopify Plus and need further examples or support, please let us know; you can open a support case with us by emailing: skosm@klarna.com

Savante773
Visitor
1 0 0

I have blocked amazon pay as a gateway using a script on our Shopify Plus store.  But amazon pay is still showing up as an "Express Checkout" payment method from the first screen of the checkout.

Is there anyway to also block it there for specific products?

LastNut
4 0 0

did you manage to get any help with this? Any advice would be appreciated.....:)

LastNut
4 0 0

Hi did you manage to do this? Please help?

KristiAtKlarna
Shopify Partner
205 14 39

Hi @LastNut ,

Is your store Shopify Plus?  If so, you can write custom scripts via the "Script Editor" app in your Shopify store.  Shopify provides starting code examples, but Klarna specific examples also documented at: "Shopify Plus: custom scripts " section at https://x.klarnacdn.net/plugins/Klarna%20Payments%20on%20Shopify%20-%20Merchant%20Guide.pdf

LastNut
4 0 0

not Shopify Plus 

KristiAtKlarna
Shopify Partner
205 14 39

Hi again @LastNut ,

Unfortunately as your store is not Shopify Plus, Shopify doesn't support customizations to your checkout. 

LastNut
4 0 0

so are you able to add the code yourself?

KristiAtKlarna
Shopify Partner
205 14 39

@LastNut - No, we are not able to add code, as it is Shopify code that serves the Shopify checkout page displaying the payment methods, so we aren't able to run code to change that page if not supported by Shopify.

jhughe
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

I am in the same boat I sell Gift cards, but cant block them because I dont have shopify plus, but I can sell my other products. klarna are aware of this limation, but I still get told by Klarna I cant sell gift cards using Klarna

Sam9516
Shopify Partner
35 1 13

You can easily do this now, even if you are on Shopify basic plan. You will need to use the BeSure Checkout Rules app. After installing the app, please follow these steps,

1. Create a rule for "Hide payment methods".
  2. Inside the rule, select the condition of when "Product tags" has these values and enter the names of the product tags for which you want to hide Klarna or any other payment method.
  3. In the "hide these payment methods" section, select Klarna to hide it. Click on create rule and done.

With this rule setup, you can continue to use Klarna to receive payments, but when your tagged product is in the cart, then it will automatically hide Klarna for that checkout only. Cheers!

CodeComedian
40 0 1

Hey! For disabling specific payment methods like Klarna when your cart includes products from specific collections, the KlinKode PayRules app should be able to help out. It’s designed to manage payment options based on products, collections  among other conditions.

Check it out here: https://apps.shopify.com/klinkode-payrules

For a guide on how to set this up, this video might be useful:

Hope this helps with your pre-order setup!

- Control payment methods visibility at checkout by KlinKode PayRules app.
- You can join in our Facebook group for Shopify help.