How to capture payment when order status is shipped?

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hello -

We're using Shipstation to integrate with our fulfillment partner. ShipStation will update the order in Shopify when the order is shipped. Is there a way to then capture the payment at that time without it being done manually?  

Also, we are just using Shopify Payments as the payment provider.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
268 23 59

Hi, @chewyj!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

At this stage, there are only 2 options for payments to be captured. One is to capture the payment as the customer purchases, the second is to manually capture it yourself when you're ready (which can take place up to 7 days after the purchase). This means, once an order is marked as fulfilled, you would need to manually capture the payment. If this sounds good, you can edit the payment process to switch between automatic and manual by going to Settings > Checkout.

I'd love to understand a little more around wanting to process the payment after the item has been shipped. Is this due to stock or inventory issues? You can choose to have Shopify track inventory for you, so that each time you get new stock, you can enter it in, then as sales are made, the stock decreases. This is a great way to track your products and remove the need to cancel orders or run out of stock. If you're using a supplier, then you can always ask them if there's a way you can automate the inventory so you can capture payments without needing to worry.

If you ever have a time where stock is out, but a customer has paid, you can also refund directly from your order page as well.

Your suggestion of automatically capturing the payment when an order is shipped or marked as fulfilled is a great one, so I have passed this onto our products team for consideration for future releases.

If you have any questions about the above, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Thanks!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Miles - for some countries and larger organizations/companies, it is not legal to capture the payment before shipping.  The ask isn't related so much to the inventory, but more that it isn't legal to capture payment before shipping the order to a customer. Are there any other solutions to automate the process? Are there any apps that will satisfy this legal requirement?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
268 23 59

Hey, @chewyj!

Thanks for getting back to me.

At this stage, there is no way to edit the checkout process, including payments. This includes apps and the ability to code in some changes. This is something we are working on, and I've also added your feedback to the feedback relating to our checkouts.

Thanks for clarifying the legal requirement of capturing payments. This is something I've not heard of, so I wouldn't like to comment as it would be guesswork on my end. 

Be assured that our checkout is something we are working on improving, and different payment capturing options have now been added based on your feedback today.

Thanks!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Miles - if it is configured to capture credit card payments automatically, does it do it at the time of the sale or does it auth first and the automatically capture at the end of the auth period?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Following this thread as I would like to know as well what the outcome of this is. We are in need of auto-capture as well after fulfillment. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Shopify. 

Did you come up with a solution yet? I think this case has to be high priority, because the auto capture is set as a standard setting, and in Denmark this is not legal. I know you can capture the payment manually, but i don't think thats a good solution. It must be possible to make a setting, that captures payment when the order it's fullfilled. Let me know if there is any solution yet or on it's way.

/Patrick  

0 Likes