How to change address customer sees on bank statement

Tsunamiwave
Visitor
3 0 1

Hello,

I am using shopify payments to get payed.

When a customer is charged they see my store name that i picked  under ''Customer statement descriptor'' as well as a phone number. It shows my physical address and i  do not like this

I do not wish for their statement to show my physical  address  instead i want it to show a PO box on the statement

Any assistance on this matter is greatly appreciated

Obviously the customer did not send me their bank statement  i know the information being displayed because i charged one of my own cards to see the statement .

I spent more than half an hour talking to a rep on how to solve this on shopify customer service but it doesnt seem they know how.

They advised that '' there was an update that took off the feature''

According to the rep the Customer statement descriptor had an option for  for the name of the store, phone number and address , but i only see an option to change the phone number and name of the store on there no option for address

Replies 16 (16)

Katy
Shopify Staff
779 43 178

Hey, @Tsunamiwave !

Katy here from Shopify. Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to our Community.

I can indeed understand your situation and apologies for any confusion thus far from chatting with our team. To give some more context, ultimately we cannot control what is on your customers' billing statement.

With each charge that is created, we are obliged to send all of the following fields to the bank:

•  Business name and website URL
  •  Business email address, phone number, and address
  •  Support site URL
  •  Statement descriptor text

What is actually sent to each customer however varies based on: network, card brand, and issuing bank, and while the issuing bank may not explicitly add specific details as part of the statement descriptor, some things might be included by default since this is part of public business information that is sent.

That being said, there are ways that you can adjust this. As you have mentioned, the statement descriptor and phone number can be adjusted directly within your admin.

However, in your own case, for your postal address, this is a little different. Instead, this is linked to the initial information that you provided when setting up Shopify Payments. While the address may not be displayed at all, adjusting this info would ensure that your preferred address is the one that is being sent.

I have sent you an email to verify your details directly and to help begin this process if you could reply to me when you can, that would be great.

Cheers,
Katy

Please note: This account is no longer regularly monitored.
 - If you need assistance please do start a new topic (referencing an older topic/post if you find this helpful).
 - Thank you for your understanding. We hope you enjoy exploring the Community.
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog.

Tsunamiwave
Visitor
3 0 1

I have changed my address in other websites like shopify without the need to go through this

the option was there to change it but it doesn't appear to be on shopify

If you mean to change the address on the general section in settings that does nothing in terms of the billing statement as it seems to only be for customer invoices.

I am definitely SURE it displays the FULL address ( in billing statement)  because i tried more than 1 card and it did it to both .

Can you please clarify if the option to change it manually was even there to begin with at all? One of your reps said it was but that you took it off sometime this year, however after speaking with multiple reps on the phone regarding most issues it doesn't seem most of them are informed or knowledgeable or how to tackle most questions as i am always put on hold for nearly every question.

Katy
Shopify Staff
779 43 178

Thank you for your reply, @Tsunamiwave  and for sharing your thoughts and feedback.

I am sorry to hear that you feel this way about your interactions with our support team. We do pride ourselves on being very merchant focussed and I am sorry to hear that this has not been your own experience.

I had not been referring to the address in the settings > general, no. The information that you send to us when setting up your store, is different to that which you provide to us when setting up Shopify Payments. The latter, being separate, is used to create your Shopify Payments account with our banking partners. This has always been the case.

Once this address has been added during the initial set up for Shopify Payments, it cannot be edited from within the admin. I can confirm for you that this has always been the case too. The reason being is due to tax and safety purposes, as any changes like this will require a review of your account. This review needs to be carried out by our Financial Services team.

In terms of the address displaying on customer banking statements, I understand that you have been seeing this when testing this yourself. This is entirely possible. As mentioned, however, whether this is displayed or not, depends on numerous factors - although it may display for you, and some of your customers, it does not mean that it will display for all of your customers. The information displayed is ultimately up to the issuing bank, as part of their own internal measures.

That being said, I would love to help you with changing this address. Doing so will ensure that your preferred address will be shared with the issuing bank during each transaction. In cases when this information is made available by the bank (e.g. as with your own testing or customers who had contacted you about this), you can then be certain that it will be the address you want to be displayed.

Regarding any conflicting information that you have received, I would like to apologize for any confusion caused. This is something that I will examine in further detail and will share with our teams internally. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

If you would like to proceed with the change of address linked to Shopify Payments, do please reply to me via email when you can. 

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Katy

Please note: This account is no longer regularly monitored.
 - If you need assistance please do start a new topic (referencing an older topic/post if you find this helpful).
 - Thank you for your understanding. We hope you enjoy exploring the Community.
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog.

goodbyecarbon
Visitor
1 0 0

@Katy wrote:

Thank you for your reply, @Tsunamiwave  and for sharing your thoughts and feedback.

I am sorry to hear that you feel this way about your interactions with our support team. We do pride ourselves on being very merchant focussed and I am sorry to hear that this has not been your own experience.

I had not been referring to the address in the settings > general, no. The information that you send to us when setting up your store, is different to that which you provide to us when setting up Shopify Payments. The latter, being separate, is used to create your Shopify Payments account with our banking partners. This has always been the case.

Once this address has been added during the initial set up for Shopify Payments, it cannot be edited from within the admin. I can confirm for you that this has always been the case too. The reason being is due to tax and safety purposes, as any changes like this will require a review of your account. This review needs to be carried out by our Financial Services team.

In terms of the address displaying on customer banking statements, I understand that you have been seeing this when testing this yourself. This is entirely possible. As mentioned, however, whether this is displayed or not, depends on numerous factors - although it may display for you, and some of your customers, it does not mean that it will display for all of your customers. The information displayed is ultimately up to the issuing bank, as part of their own internal measures.

That being said, I would love to help you with changing this address. Doing so will ensure that your preferred address will be shared with the issuing bank during each transaction. In cases when this information is made available by the bank (e.g. as with your own testing or customers who had contacted you about this), you can then be certain that it will be the address you want to be displayed.

Regarding any conflicting information that you have received, I would like to apologize for any confusion caused. This is something that I will examine in further detail and will share with our teams internally. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

If you would like to proceed with the change of address linked to Shopify Payments, do please reply to me via email when you can. 

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Katy

Katy, I would like to change the business name the shows up on my customers bank statement. Is there a way to do this without creating an entirely new Shopify store?

mraculus
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Katy, I would like your help in changing the store name and address that may show up in my customers billing statements. Thanks!

sparkle_jill
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi @Katy ,

I also have an outdated address associated with my account. How can this be modified?

Thank you!

Jillian

Kk1923
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Katy, I also need help with changing the address that appears on customers billing statements.

clintercell
Excursionist
15 0 3

Hi Katy,

I also need help changing my store address and contact information that my customer sees on their payment statements. Please message me so we can get this updated as soon as possible.

Clint

arsenalpilgrim
Tourist
17 0 3

Is anyone monitoring this section? I have a similar problem.

The settings in Shopify Payments set correctly. However, one of customers has reported seeing my personal name on their Pending charge from AMEX. Other accounts show the correct name as specified in Shopify Payments.

Therefore, this must be connected to either (a) the plan is under my name or (b) it is related to how the account was first created.

How do I get some help from Shopify?

Thanks,

Richard

al_888
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Katy, 

I know this post is older however I'd like to update my business address too for privacy reasons as well could you please help?

Best regards,

arnolddlv
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Katy! I have had trouble doing this with other Shopify support people, getting varied answers. But I am having the same issue

pcadmin
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi @Katy ,

I need help with a similar problem as well. Would you please message me about how to update each of the customer-facing addresses and phone numbers (billing, shipping, and otherwise)? Thanks!

arsenalpilgrim
Tourist
17 0 3
The name and information displayed on customer statements will vary based on card. In my case, it was only American Express which displayed the incorrect name and address i.e., the name and address when the account was first created.

The only solution I found was to contact the Financial/Tax team. The customer support person can send you contact info to the Tax team. However, this process might take several weeks.

pcadmin
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Thanks! Upon some digging, I've come across 3 areas that are customer-facing (not positive these are the only ones). Just to confirm, when you discovered that your personal info was being shown to customers, had you already updated the following fields? 

1. Settings > Payments > Manage > Update "customer statement descriptor" &  "phone number" fields

2. Settings > Store Details > Update "Basic Information", "Address", and "Contact Information" fields

3. Settings > Locations > Edit the various store locations at the top of the page (affects the return address the customer sees on shipping labels)

Hoping to get an idea as to which fields the credit card companies are keying off of.

arsenalpilgrim
Tourist
17 0 3
Yes, I had already tried. I’d changed all those fields. And no difference.

It is my understanding the information passed along to the credit card processor is from the original creation of the store. And the only way to change that data is via the finance team.

Not all credit card processors will display the information. They use different elements. IN my case, I only had issue with Amex. Other credit card processors did not display the address from original creation of the store.

Shopify should make this a lot clearer at setup. They seem to ignore the fact, developers might create a store for someone as a “proof of concept” and then move it into production. Then you find out, even transferring ownership will still take many many weeks before the correct information is displayed.

SmileFresh1
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey Katy i would like to change how my business address appears on customers bank statements could you please provide me with the relevant steps to do this thanks you, me email is info@smilefreshau.com.au