How to correct a billing address?

Shopify Partner
152 2 50

Hi There,

Customers sometime enter incorrect billing address details, particularly post codes. This particularly occurs when using Shopify POS during a sale - they can't remeber some details and don't have information handy.

How do we update their details so the correct data is in their account?

Cheers

Ben

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
481 26 63

Hey!

My name is Ava, I’m one of Shopify’s Gurus and I’m here to help :)

You can edit the customers address if you go to the customer in the Customers section in the admin and click 'change' on the address. There is a guide here that goes over how to do this here! This would also work on POS customers, as they would still show up in the Customers section for you to edit.

Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help!

Ava

Social Care Guru | support@shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello Ava,

The instructions you provided will certainly update a customers profile.  However, the original order page does not update.

How can one adjust the billing address without having to duplicate the order and delete the old one?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
481 26 63

Hi, @steffichfineart!

It would only be possible to edit the shipping address on the order after it has been placed, just in case it ships to an incorrect address. It would not be possible to edit the Billing Address, as when this is entered it must match the Billing Address on file with the customer's bank or financial institution in order for the payment details to verify and the sale to be completed. So to clarify, the address can be changed on the customer's profile, but the billing address set with the customer's bank cannot be changed from the Orders section of the admin. 

There are some sections of the order that can be edited, but it would only be the products/quantity/price. Basically, the billing address is uneditable because our built-in risk analysis is conducted at checkout. If you edit the billing address through your backend, a risk analysis will not be conducted again. To veer away from inaccurate risk reports and potentially high-risk orders that lead to possible chargebacks, the ability to edit the billing address wasn't made available.

For a work around, I'd suggest checking and app for this! Both Edit Orders ‑ Editify or Edit Order by Cleverific will let you edit the orders, so it would definitely be worthwhile to check these out.

Also, apologies for the confusion with my first response here to @cmscss! While my first post goes over how to edit the customer address in their profile, specifically editing the Billing Address is not possible without the help of an app. 

Let me know what you think!

Ava

Social Care

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes