How to disable Combined shipping rate at checkout?

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 14

Hi Team,

I have multiple shipping profiles in my store. When an order contains products from different profiles, the separate shipping rates for each product are added together. This is not desired.

How do I disable the add up? Instead, I just wanted to show the highest shipping cost between the profiles. How do I achieve this, please?

Regards,

Folia House.

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
503 42 68

Hi, @Folia_House!

Ash here from the Shopify team. 

When using multiple shipping profiles, or having multiple locations within profiles, if orders contain products from different profiles or locations, this will result in combined rates at the checkout. At this time, there is no way to disable combined rates natively if you have multiple shipping profiles, or have multiple locations within profiles. We have some more information you can check out on combined rates here.

Ultimately this feature is in place to ensure merchants don't end up over paying for shipping when customers order products from multiple profiles or locations, but I can appreciate how this may not be desired for all. Currently the only available work-around would be to use an application to set up more specific shipping rules. Some options you could consider are: 

I've also submit your feedback to our developers so that our team is aware that this feature is not ideal for all users. While I can't make any guarantees, the more feedback our developers get, the more likely we are to see changes in future platform updates. I hope this information has been helpful, and please feel free to reach out any time if you need further assistance. 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

You can use the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app if all your products were in a single profile. When there is a single profile, you can adjust the rules to skip the small product from shipping. 

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

THIS! Totally with @Folia_House on this one:

We sale design furniture internationally and some of our items cannot be sold in the US due to regulation and others need custom flat rates due to odd sizes.

We ship to Europe with a flat rate and use weight based tiers for the rest of the world.

We would want to administer that by setting those items up with a Custom Shipping Profile that would "overwrite" the General Shipping Profile. 

No way to circumvent that with an third party app.

I have would guessed that the feature allowing for the highest or lowest flat rate to be the price instead of only allowing for a combination of all rates.

I mean shipping rates is not only product-, weight-  or order value based, but also a strategic one.

Just a little extra plea to those developers sitting at home during COVID-19... get on it ;)

Stay safe.

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 10

Agree!  I really need a way to separate the combined shipping rate at checkout.

My larger items need tracking which is more expensive, and I want my smaller items to user regular shipping with the choice to upgrade to tracking.

If someone buys a large item and a small item, the shipping costs should not be added together and instead just take the higher shipping rate.

Please add this asap!  With COVID-19 going on, I really need this feature to help ensure the safety of the packages being sent while giving flexibility for my smaller items.

Highlighted
1 0 3

Another +1 for this, and from a slightly different use case.  We ship most of our items ourselves and allow a customer to select a shipping method.  We also have some items that are dropshipped for us and would like to allow the customer to select standard or expedited shipping for those items, independent of the items that we ship.  This sounds like a perfect use case for shipping profiles, and it does work great if an order contains only items we ship or only items dropshipped.  But when an order contains both the customer cannot select a shipping method for either!  That really limits our ability to use the shipping profile feature.  For this, the solution would be to still allow the customer to select each shipping method, and not just to allow an option to always select the highest cost.

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 7

I have just had this problem too....spent an hour on online chat to support explaining it only to be told "it's complicated" and that Shopify would contact me later by email. I need to set a seperate rate for greeting cards which I managed to do, but it combines the shipping rate profile for that with other items in the cart which makes it more expensive! Surely there should be a simple fix for this? 

Highlighted
1 0 3

Same issue here, we have shippable and non shippable items but everything is available for local delivery. When we have someone try to add a product from the 2 different shipping profiles but wants local delivery it doubles the rate for the local delivery. We are getting abandoned carts due to the high rates. Anyone figure this out yet?

Highlighted
1 0 1

Hi all

Same problem here, +1 for one solution

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Really agree with all the points here.. it seems your options as a seller are to have either very basic shipping and risk being under payed for your real shipping costs - or to have multiple options. The difficulty is that when shopify adds them together it will create a bill which is prohibitive to the customer continuing.. Either way this feature is costing us money. 

I would have thought given that we can specify the size of box that we ship in, if there was this option in the individual dimensions for each item we stock - instead of simply using weight, then the shipping feature could approximate how many items will fit in the volume of a box. It would be sensible to set a value for packaging within the box and remove this from the total volume available. I'm very surprised this feature doesn't exist.

0 Likes