How to find the best shipping rates?

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know whether there are API or app solutions that allow me to find the best shipping rates? I ship 100+ packages per month and don't qualify for large volume discounts. Using the USPS, UPS, FedEx retail and even online rates are really expensive.

I'd really appreciate any type of leads.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
89 0 6

As a general rule of thumb, your best bet is the USPS.  It's hard to beat their rates. Furthermore, for packages weighing less than 13 ounces, USPS is unbeatable, because you can ship "1st Class with Delivery Confirmation" for a couple of bucks, and it generally gets there in 2 to 4 days anyway.

However, for packages over 3 or 4 lbs, USPS (Priority Mail) will start to become more expensive as compared to UPS or FedEx.  If you fall in that range, negotiate with both FedEx and UPS, but make sure you end up using only one of them, so you can take advantage of volume discounts. 

To get discounted rates with USPS, you can use any of the Web based shipping-label-printing apps such as OrderCup, ShipRobot, Shippo, ShippingEasy, ShipStation, etc. If you use one of these apps, you will get slightly lower Priority Mail rates than shipping directly with the post office. OrderCup will even give you a head start with UPS with discounted rates to begin with, and as you grow, you can later negotiate your own, direct deals with UPS.

There are many nuances to shipping, depending on your unique scnarios. If you need additional help or guidance, shoot me an email.

shippingwiz@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

I use Shippo for our shipments and it works great! They actually offer significant USPS Priority Mail discounts (up to 75%). So far it's been helping a lot to save shipping costs and processing time. I can highly recommend it: https://apps.shopify.com/shippo

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
89 0 6

SportsExpert, I think you have been misled. 

Either that, or you need to stop misleading others on this forum. Some merchants may rely on what you just said. 

No entity can legally offer 75% off USPS Priority Mail, let alone a software application! Shippo is a nice app, but you are not helping them by making false statements.

shippingwiz@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Shipping Wizz, I initially thought so too that it's impossible to offer such rates. I usually ship sports equipment that is around 10 lb. For a shipment from San Jose to New York City, I'd usually have to pay $36 for a Priority Mail shipment, but when I used Shippo I managed to ship it for $9. For other shipments to closer locations, the discounts were lower - but still I was saving money. All packages arrived and I didn't receive any complaints so far. Just try it out and see what you get for USPS Priority Mail compared to the post office.

Highlighted
2 0 0

I tried out Shippo and it works great. The discounts apply as well and my shipment went through. That made both the customer and me very happy! 

Thanks for your help guys!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

My company uses NetParcel.  They've negotiated great enterprise rates with a bunch of top shipping companies(Fedex,DSL,Purolator, etc.) for small businesses that use their portal.  You can compare rates, choose a carrier, and complete the order right away.  They also have all the tracking info.  My company saves between 50-70% compared to the rates we used to get. It's worth at least checking out: www.netparcel.com

Cheers!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

I was wondering as to why are you not using Shopify's existing integration with USPS? Is your store located in Europe?
That said, you can sign up for an account with Stamps.com and then get hugely discounted rates at checkout using the Multi carrier shipping label app. Here is a comparison of rates among UPS, FedEx and Stamps.com-USPS : 

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 2.21.52 PM.png

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 1

I'm wondering the same thing. I've never done international shipping before, so I don't know the ins and outs. The shipping rate is one of those things I don't know about.

0 Likes