How to handle farm products that weigh differing amounts

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi there! I’m helping a website client go virtual + set up Shopify so they can serve clients while we deal with Covid-19. They are a local free-range organic turkey farm. Most of their products are sold by weight -- humanely-raised small-farm turkey... so weighing is a really important thing.
We are thinking, if someone order, we can have Small, Medium, Large... and variants to show the grams. (We’re in Canada.) Customers would choose 100g, 200g, 300g, etc. But they couldn’t get this “exact.” It might be 352 grams in the final product, for instance.

This becomes more complex when it applies to turkeys -- you can only get "approximate" sizes until the order is processed depending on what's really available. 
Once the shop receives and fills the order, can they adjust the final bill depending on the exact weight? We've thought about doing Manual Payments, but it would mean the farm has to pack up orders for customers who may decide not to show up and pay. 

Or if deposits are possible... with the remainder being a manual payment? 

Would appreciate it if anyone has ideas. Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
362 46 60

Hey there, @farm!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Thanks for posting! While this isn't natively possible from within the Shopify Admin, there may some app solutions available you'd be interested in looking at to allow customers to request a quote rather than add to cart. After you've given them pricing, you can create a draft order and accept payment over the phone, or send the customer an invoice allowing them to complete their purchase through your checkout.

• Globo Request a Quote offers a free plan; however, the free plan won't hide your product's existing price. The Premium plan for that feature is $8.99/month USD, after a 7-day free trial.
  • Request a Quote & Hide Prices will do as the name says - both enable the quote request and hide your existing product pricing. After a 7-day free trial this app charges $9.99/month USD.

If you'd like to browse through some other options, you can look through these results in our App Store. Alternatively, you can look at hiring an Expert that can customize your theme this way.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if there's anything else I can clarify.

Cheers.

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes