How to handle needing multiple boxes for one order?

jeffpat
Tourist
10 1 7

We get some large orders sometimes that require us to split the products into multiple boxes because they go over the UPS max. weight limit for a single box.  This causes us to lose money on the shipping costs.  Is there any way to set a max weight per box in the Shopify shipping settings so UPS will calculate the correct number of boxes and not cause us to lose money?

Thanks!

Jeff

Replies 36 (36)

PluginHive
Shopify Partner
797 31 100

One of the methods you can try is to create a draft order under the Shopify orders section and add the required product under this order. Mark the order as paid and provide the customer details. 

Another method is to use the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app that helps you handle the packaging process with the weight-based packing. You can set the max.weight of a box and whenever the product weight exceeds this max.weight, the next box is chosen automatically and the rate is calculated accordingly.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
jeffpat
Tourist
10 1 7

Hello Hari, thanks for your reply.  The specific problem we're having is that we get some large orders for like 200 pounds of product and we can only put a max of 50 pounds in our largest box, so we need to ship the order in 4 boxes.  Does this app handle that situation?

Thanks,
Jeff

JAndersonCT
Tourist
8 0 3

I have the same issue with people ordering an art print and a mug.  how do I split it into 2 packages.

jeffpat
Tourist
10 1 7

Hello J, you should be able to do a fulfillment on each item (2 partial fulfillments) and print 2 different shipping labels.  But that's not our problem.  Our problem is the default UPS shipping calculator assumes 1 box for everything, so it doesn't charge the customer enough to ship a 200 pound order because we have to split that into 3-4 boxes so the actual cost is much higher than what the customer is paying.  How do we tell the UPS shipping calculator to use 4 boxes on a 200 pound order?

PluginHive
Shopify Partner
797 31 100

Hi @jeffpat,

Just to confirm, your order has a total weight of 200 pounds? It's not a single product, right?

If the total weight is 200 pounds, you can easily handle that with the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app. As I have mentioned, there is a weight-based packing method in the app. Here, you can set a max.weight that goes in one box. If the weight exceeds this max.weight, the app automatically chooses the next box. 

For example, in your case, you can set a max.weight of 50 pounds for your box. So, when the weight exceeds 50 pounds, another box is automatically chosen and it goes on until the whole order is packed based on the weight. So, for 200 pounds, the app chooses 4 boxes and calculates the rates accordingly.

If you require any help with the setup, you can contact our support.

Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
jeffpat
Tourist
10 1 7

That sounds like exactly what we need.  Thank you very much Hari!

iboc
Tourist
3 0 1

And what if a Single item is a combination of 2 Boxes, For example, if I'm selling computers, and the screen comes in a separate box, how would I get 2 shipping labels in an order? I have managed with the rates by creating special rates, but creating shipping labels I did not found a solution yet.

PluginHive
Shopify Partner
797 31 100

Hi @iboc,

Unfortunately, the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app does not handle multiple boxes for a single order.

However, if you are shipping via FedEx, you can use the FedEx Rates, Labels & Tracking app that helps you handle this with ease. You can have multiple boxes for a single product. In your case, you can pack the screens in one box, and other parts in different boxes as well, and you can generate shipping labels for each box.

Bill_Ryan
Tourist
8 0 13

Hi Hari,

I see you all over these forums promoting your app, but then I see the messages like above suggesting that the app doesn't do what is needed. Or to contact support.

What most of all Shopify stores need, is a way to have the proper product dimensions applied to the boxes , and also the proper amount of items applied per box and the proper amount of boxes applied per shipment. As many here have suggested. We are having customers order 3 or 4 items and totaling a weight that is over UPS or USPS or Fed EX totals, and it needs to be broken up into multiple boxes.  We the merchants always end up losing. And after going over this with my accountant, we are losing in a huge way. Enough of a way that I am looking at leaving Shopify if we can't find a suitable answer quickly.  No one in Shopify support has been able to give us a good answer. And the apps we have tried only seem to like to charge us the fee and then say " oh, we can't do that "

If you are an APP developer, seems like this could be a gold mine for you.

Or if there is an app of this type out there that works, why isn't it being suggested around.

ElliottH
Visitor
1 0 2

Need something like this that is integrated into Shopify:

multi-bin-packing

ChubbyLeaf
Tourist
5 0 3

Is there really no way to send 1 order in two different boxes? 

lenicholsdev
Tourist
3 0 5

This is very sad. We too have people ordering big bulky orders with multiple products and losing out on shopping due to Shopify assuming they all will be shipped together. Sometimes when we ship multiple boxes it totals more than half the order. There has got to be a solution! 

Bill_Ryan
Tourist
8 0 13

You can send the order in multiple boxes, by just fullfilling part of the order, but you pay a much higher shipping price. So you are doing what is right for the customer. But hurting your margin and your profit and hurting your business in the process.

NATURALZING
Visitor
2 0 0

Did you mean to say "for a single item" or "for a single order"? This whole thread is about multiple boxes for an order which you said works with the app numerous times until this response. "For a single item", I would include an extra fee to cover a second box, $10 or $1.20 per pound. Of course a single item you could just build in shipping for the whole item if domestic. 

Bill_Ryan
Tourist
8 0 13

For a single order.

We have large orders, sometimes 20 to 30 items, and they will require some items to be boxed alone, and Shopify throws it all into 1 box. We have been losing a small fortune on the freight.

JoshBurd_dds
Visitor
1 0 0

I have similar issues.  I have multiple products with their own boxes so if an order is 15 items it could literally be 15 different boxes.  Have switched to mainly local and handle the deliveries myself.  

lenicholsdev
Tourist
3 0 5

It seems like Shopify needs to put a field on the product page where a merchant can select if the item can be shipped alone in its own box. That way when the courier selected shipping happens, multi box shipping can be set and the customer will be charged accordingly. This year alone, we have missed out on thousands.

Ben889
Visitor
3 0 0

Try the boxify app.  I just installed it and it seems to be working well.

markdc
Shopify Partner
23 0 22

There is an app called Boxify which does this for businesses shipping from the USA. It allows you to set up dimensions, weights and shipping behavior per product. You can even create a "multi-part" (or split) product. The only downside is that it doesn't alter the Shopify order via Shopify's API.

Currently we are developing our own solution to this problem.

tahoematt
Tourist
9 0 0

Any progress on this? We need an app that can do this too. We ship our main product in large boxes (99x14x10) they only weigh about 70 pounds but due to box size, we pay for dimensional weight.  That is our default box size... but then we sell accessories that also need their own box. RIght now Shopify shipping uses the default box size to calculate shipping. No way to use a different box size for a different product. Is there a solution to this and still maintain Shopify shipping UPS discounts? 

IE someone orders a Rack and a ladder ( That is 2 separate packages) Default box size for rack is the 99x14x10 size @ 70 lbs but ladder ships in a smaller box 80x14x20 (17 lbs). When customer checks out with a ladder plus a rack they don't get charged the rate we have to pay to ship out both boxes.

Also another problem is if someone orders 2 racks... shopify doesn't recognize this as a separate box so they aren't charged enough for shipping. We would do flat rate shipping but only way to get 50% off UPS rates is to use Shopify shipping....

Please help!

lenicholsdev
Tourist
3 0 5

Sounds like we all have the same issue that’s not being addressed. This is disturbing.

tahoematt
Tourist
9 0 0

We now just add margin to our product cost and include "free shipping" You are able to buy one shipping label through shopify shipping then get negotiated rates with the same carrier for the other. Nott great but it works. 

Bill_Ryan
Tourist
8 0 13

Sad thing is that it is years later and we still are having this issue. Shopify stock still soars, and we the backbone of how they make their revenue are getting the shaft.

No one has shown me or told me a good solution so far.

Ben889
Visitor
3 0 0

I just installed the Boxify App and it appears to be working as described.  You can set size and weight limits per item and per box.

Anindita
Shopify Partner
675 34 94

Hi @Bill_Ryan 

Shopify gives default box sizes. The problem with using Shopify's default box size is that you will be undercharging/overcharging for some orders. To resolve this you can take a look at Shopify Multi Carrier Shipping Label App. The app allows you to set multiple custom boxes with required weight & dimensions. 

Let me know if you have any queries regarding this. I will be happy to help!

kingstore
Shopify Partner
175 5 31

When it comes to shipping multiple boxes for a single order in Shopify, you'll need to split the shipment into multiple separate shipments producing labels for each of the boxes contained in the shipment. It's important to note that the platform itself does not have built-in support for sending a single shipment with multiple boxes using one carrier shipment purchase. For those operations needing a streamlined solution here you can try SKUSavvy multi-box shipping and fulfillment

SKUSavvy is an app that seamlessly integrates with Shopify, providing advanced shipping capabilities to extend Shopify. With SKUSavvy, you can easily handle situations where large orders need to be split into multiple boxes due to weight restrictions set by carriers like UPS. By using SKUSavvy's multi-box shipping feature, you can set a maximum weight per box, ensuring that UPS calculates the correct number of boxes required for your order. This way, you can avoid losing money on shipping costs and optimize your packaging strategies.

kingstore_0-1687471504367.png

I hope this information helps. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Happy shipping!

The best Shopify Inventory Management App: Purchases, Bin Locations, Visual Inventory, Warehouse Management, Pick Pack Ship, Cycle Counts, and more.
Get your first SKUSavvy Mobile Inventory and Order Fulfillment account free for 50 orders
Schedule a call
wlg
Tourist
10 0 24

Is anyone hearing this at Shopify? This is a giant problem and was handled by my previous e-commerce platform as a native feature. I didn't have to pay an extra monthly fee for a new application. It had a simple spot to add product dimensions and then like magic, it would spit out the box size needed for the order AND the customer would be charged extra for the extra package(s) if the products didn't fit in one box. If I'm just missing this functionality somewhere in Shopify, please let me know. This is so basic - can you let us know if this is on your product roadmap and when we might be able to expect it to be implemented? Thank you!!

RootJack
Tourist
3 0 1

We have the same problem.  Every product ships in its own box (we sell drinks).  Discussing this with shopify, their response was, "Can't you just put everything in one box"...well no.  If someone orders 3 cases of drinks, there is no way to put all bottles in a single box.

As far as built-in solutions, I have only found one work around, and it only solves half the problem.   You can create a custom shipping rate in the Shipping and Delivery section for each item that ship separately.  That forces the system to calculate shipping for those items separately.  The only problem with this fix is if the customer chooses to order multiples of the same item, then you are back to the original issue.  For us it is no solution, but I figured I'd throw it out there for any store that doesn't normally sell duplicates.  It definitely doesn't help with folks that sell multi-box items under the same SKU.

RootJack
Tourist
3 0 1

Ugh.  So I tried using the multiple warehouse ability in Shopify to try to trick the system.  I created 10 warehouses, and put 1 item in each location's inventory.  Still when I tried an order of 2 items, it still assumed everything was shipping in 1 box from the default location.  This is SO incredibly dumb.  Oh and no refunds after 30 days if you need to go somewhere else.

wlg
Tourist
10 0 24

Is there still no built-in Shopify solution for this issue? I just received an order for 26 bottles of our balsamics and oils, which will need to be shipped in 5+ boxes, yet the customer only paid for the shipping of 1 of those boxes. I am going to lose a ton of money on this order. This seems like such a basic function of an online sales/ordering system. I'm tired of hearing "there's an app for that...". 😞

Dela12
Shopify Partner
4 0 2

I'm having similar issues here. Is there any update on any solutions?

Also Shopify only has an option to generate one Shipping Label per order. When packaging in more than 1 box for a large quantity of items (can be the same product sometimes), I need more than 1 shipping label.

As well as the previous issue, that I would like to calculate shipping for more than 1 box on larger orders.

If anyone has any advice for me on any of this, would be much appreciated!

AndyOutside
Tourist
3 0 6

Shopify!!!! Really!? Still no solution here. I guess our effort to switch to Shopify shipping has been thwarted for now. Our orders commonly require mutliple boxes. Is there a fix for this in your road map?

TECHPUNKS
Visitor
1 0 0

Does Split Fulfillment work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfaktPDg620

RootJack
Tourist
3 0 1

That will allow you to split the order, yes; but the customer was only charged shipping for 1 box and the seller 2, so the seller still loses quite a bit on the sale.  So sadly, no, this doesn't really solve the problem.

TundeL
Visitor
1 0 1

It's so sad that to this day, still no resolution from Shopify for this. One would think all they would need to do is allow an area on the product profile to place the box dimensions for that item. They already do it for the weight of the item. This is beyond baffling!

Joe_Papendick
Visitor
1 0 0

This should be ridiculously simple. I'm assuming that Shopify takes a small cut every time I buy shipping from them.  Well I just want to buy some MORE shipping. Why the hell doesn't Shopify allow me to purchase additional labels. Etsy does! In some instances the work I make HAS to be shipped in two separate boxes, one tall, narrow box and one short, wide box. Combining them would result in a ridiculously large box full of mostly empty space that costs a fortune to ship. Instead I have to buy shipping for the tall box from Shopify, then head over to EasyShip for the second box. Not only is it a pain in the ass for me, but Shopify is losing money. 

Just keep the shipping window open. Let me send that customer a thank you gift three months from now. Etsy allows me to do this. I can't think of any reason why this option wasn't the default right from the start.