How to handle needing multiple boxes for one order?

Highlighted
Tourist
10 1 2

We get some large orders sometimes that require us to split the products into multiple boxes because they go over the UPS max. weight limit for a single box.  This causes us to lose money on the shipping costs.  Is there any way to set a max weight per box in the Shopify shipping settings so UPS will calculate the correct number of boxes and not cause us to lose money?

Thanks!

Jeff

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

One of the methods you can try is to create a draft order under the Shopify orders section and add the required product under this order. Mark the order as paid and provide the customer details. 

Another method is to use the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app that helps you handle the packaging process with the weight-based packing. You can set the max.weight of a box and whenever the product weight exceeds this max.weight, the next box is chosen automatically and the rate is calculated accordingly.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 1 2

Hello Hari, thanks for your reply.  The specific problem we're having is that we get some large orders for like 200 pounds of product and we can only put a max of 50 pounds in our largest box, so we need to ship the order in 4 boxes.  Does this app handle that situation?

Thanks,
Jeff

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

I have the same issue with people ordering an art print and a mug.  how do I split it into 2 packages.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 1 2

Hello J, you should be able to do a fulfillment on each item (2 partial fulfillments) and print 2 different shipping labels.  But that's not our problem.  Our problem is the default UPS shipping calculator assumes 1 box for everything, so it doesn't charge the customer enough to ship a 200 pound order because we have to split that into 3-4 boxes so the actual cost is much higher than what the customer is paying.  How do we tell the UPS shipping calculator to use 4 boxes on a 200 pound order?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

Hi @jeffpat,

Just to confirm, your order has a total weight of 200 pounds? It's not a single product, right?

If the total weight is 200 pounds, you can easily handle that with the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app. As I have mentioned, there is a weight-based packing method in the app. Here, you can set a max.weight that goes in one box. If the weight exceeds this max.weight, the app automatically chooses the next box. 

For example, in your case, you can set a max.weight of 50 pounds for your box. So, when the weight exceeds 50 pounds, another box is automatically chosen and it goes on until the whole order is packed based on the weight. So, for 200 pounds, the app chooses 4 boxes and calculates the rates accordingly.

If you require any help with the setup, you can contact our support.

Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 1 2

That sounds like exactly what we need.  Thank you very much Hari!

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

And what if a Single item is a combination of 2 Boxes, For example, if I'm selling computers, and the screen comes in a separate box, how would I get 2 shipping labels in an order? I have managed with the rates by creating special rates, but creating shipping labels I did not found a solution yet.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

Hi @iboc,

Unfortunately, the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app does not handle multiple boxes for a single order.

However, if you are shipping via FedEx, you can use the FedEx Rates, Labels & Tracking app that helps you handle this with ease. You can have multiple boxes for a single product. In your case, you can pack the screens in one box, and other parts in different boxes as well, and you can generate shipping labels for each box.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

Hi Hari,

I see you all over these forums promoting your app, but then I see the messages like above suggesting that the app doesn't do what is needed. Or to contact support.

What most of all Shopify stores need, is a way to have the proper product dimensions applied to the boxes , and also the proper amount of items applied per box and the proper amount of boxes applied per shipment. As many here have suggested. We are having customers order 3 or 4 items and totaling a weight that is over UPS or USPS or Fed EX totals, and it needs to be broken up into multiple boxes.  We the merchants always end up losing. And after going over this with my accountant, we are losing in a huge way. Enough of a way that I am looking at leaving Shopify if we can't find a suitable answer quickly.  No one in Shopify support has been able to give us a good answer. And the apps we have tried only seem to like to charge us the fee and then say " oh, we can't do that "

If you are an APP developer, seems like this could be a gold mine for you.

Or if there is an app of this type out there that works, why isn't it being suggested around.

0 Likes