How to manage orders that need to be reshipped (due to some of these issues)?

Highlighted
Explorer
141 0 26

Hey all! I'd appreciate hearing how some of you are handling a few of these scenarios:

1. A customer places an order, but we forget to include an item or we ship the wrong item or we don't send the correct quantity, so we need to send a second shipment.
  2. A customer receives an order, but the product was damaged during shipment and we need to send a replacement.

How are store owners keeping track of these errors and ensuring they go out on time and that the entire process is as streamlined as possble. For example:

1. Customer notifies customer support that there is an issue with their order/shipment
  2. Support somehow creates a replacement order in Shopify so that the warehouse sees it as an open order
  3. Warehouse fulfills the order,
  4. Warehouse purchases a USPS shipping label (through Shopify)
  5. Warehouse arks it as shipped
  6. Customer receives an email notifications with tracking number
  7. Shopify reporting would not show this as a "sale" or additional revenue
  8. Shopify reports the cost of the shipping label
    1. Bonus: Shopify would report how many orders we had to reship

Our current process:

1. Customer service updates a spreadhsheet with the item(s) that need to be reshipped
  2. Customer service updates warehouse
  3. Warehouse purchases a shipping label through the USPS website
  4. Warehouse (has to remember to) tell customer support it has shipped
  5. Customer support follows up with the customer to let them know the tracking number

It's cumbersome and still too easy to goof up.

I realize I can "create an order" in Shopify, but it if I don't select "Mark as Paid" or "Pay with Credit Card" the order stays as a draft. Plus, selecting those options means that from a reporting/accounting standpoint, it shows we sold more than we did. Plus, we are not able to purchase a shipping label in Shopify.

How are other stores handling these types of issues? Does Shopify already have this built in (and I'm just missing it)? Are there apps out there?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Bob

Build & grow an ecommerce business that will help you reach your goals with my no bull, no hype, no pitch mini-guide: http://www.bobpotter.co/
2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

I would also like to find out the best answer to this.  There are many reasons and times when even businesses and individuals with the best practices need to print more than one postage label from an order. I currently also use Etsy as a selling platform and the ability to print more than one label from an order is very easy, seamless and efficient.  You simply just click a button that says 'Print label'.  The first time you click it, it fulfills the order.  After that, it doesn't affect that at all.  Just print another label with the package dimensions, weight, etc. for whatever reason and you're done.  No need to leave Shopify at all.

Of course I realize that each platform has their purpose and use (that's why I have both) but it would seem like a great feature that a lot of users here at Shopify would like and would use.

More than once I've had to leave Shopify in order to print a label that I needed for a Shopify order.  The less we have to leave Shopify to help fulfull Shopify orders, the better for Shopify and for users.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
688 42 82

Hi all!

Don here from Shopify!

Thanks for taking the time to outline your requirements and the issues you've been having with the current functionality of the platform. :)

What I can do from here for you is to file a feature request with our developer team to expand on this functionality in a future build of Shopify.

While we can't give a timeline on or guarantee a given function will be included, we do rely on feedback and reports like this from our merchants to let us know what we could be doing better; so thanks again for that! :)

You can also reach out to us at any time, 24/7 via our support site if you have any other questions or even if you wish to have another feature request filed on your behalf.

All the best!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

Hi there, what we just did was create a custom order, added a custom item for $0 called "Reshipment of Order #xxxx", linked the customer, and marked as paid.

The order now shows up on your orders list and we were able to quickly print a new label and fulfill. 

Thought we would share and hope this might help someone!

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Has there been any progress on this? Handling lost and damaged products is a common process. It would be great to be able this handle this properly without tracking in separate, error-prone excel sheets 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Here's my current process:

1) Click on the order in question

2) Click on More Actions -> Unarchive Order

3) Click Edit Order

4) Add Custom Product (I just name the product I'm re-shipping or whatever) I make it $0.00 but I click "Requires Shipping"

5) Now on the order you have the option to create a new shipping label

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
144 7 22

Disclaimer:  I am not a merchant, but I work with merchants on a regular basis.

Working with merchants, another approach I've seen when it comes to lost or damaged products is to create a draft order, assign the product and customer to the order, then mark it as paid.  This should streamline your process in several ways:

1. Creates an order history for the lost or damaged item.  Side note:  You can use order tagging as a way to track this in more detail should you have the need to generate reports in the future.
  2. Notifies the customer that an order has been created, and will update them when the item has shipped.
  3. Keeps your inventory count up-to-date.
  4. You can generate a shipping label from the newly created order.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joel.

Co-Founder / CTO @ Intuitive Shipping
Intuitive Shipping | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

We're new to Shopify and have been doing this process as well. I like that it manages inventory correctly but when I mark it as paid, it looks like a new order and I believe it's skewing the analytics making it look like we have additional sales.

Any workaround for this?

0 Likes